Drive ability problems

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
Had to disconnect battery for other maintenance on my 94 XLT. Now I am having severe drive ability problems such as severe hesitation very poor acceleration. I tried a second reset to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is making the vehicle almost impossible to drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Had to disconnect battery for other maintenance" I would look at what you did for the problem. For example, if you changed the plug wires are they in the right order? Are the terminals actually connected to the spark plug? (Had this happen where one wire was pulled back into the boot and left a big air gap to the plug)

list what your maintenance was and we will help.

"Had to disconnect battery for other maintenance" I would look at what you did for the problem. For example, if you changed the plug wires are they in the right order? Are the terminals actually connected to the spark plug? (Had this happen where one wire was pulled back into the boot and left a big air gap to the plug)

I put on a new alternator. Nothing else was touched.

Inatal led a new alternator.

Any codes set? Does it start hard, idle rough, etc.? I've changed alternators in our '92 XLT and our '94 Limited without any issues so it's not an inherent problem.

Any codes set? Does it start hard, idle rough, etc.? I've changed alternators in our '92 XLT and our '94 Limited without any issues so it's not an inherent problem.
I found the problem. That rubber gasket on the air intake at the throttle had deteriorated and was sucking air. Found a replacement at the junk yard and all is well now.

Thanks for letting us know. Yet another thing to be aware of...:)

If you hadn't fixed it, I was going to suggest basically that. When you disconnect the battery, the computer goes back to default values, the way it was brand new from the factory. Anything worn or or deteriorated will cause issues. Vacuum leaks, failed gaskets, stuck IAC, stuck EGR, dirty MAF, clogged fuel filter, worn fuel pump... anything along those lines will affect a wiped computer.

Back