Exause pipe fell off and now stuff is hanging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exause pipe fell off and now stuff is hanging

Shinibents

Reaction score
City, State
Superior, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ranger 4.0
Truck Info - 91 Mazda Nav.

Ok so here's the thing, my exaust pipe fell off after, what I'm told is a resonator?, and now it's hanging low. I need to take the resonator or whatever it is off and I have a few questions.

First off at the auto store I was told that a replacement piece starts before the resonator. Does this mean there's just a clamp holding it on after the muffler? I already broke the part that attaches to the hanger and took it off. If it is a clamp how easy is it to get at, as I am at work and want to just step outside for a few minutes to fix it before I break the thing on the drive home.

Second is the resonator or whatever it is a big deal? I'm trying to save some cash to get to a friends wedding in a little over a month and don't have the 50+ bucks for the new section from the store. Can I run without it for a few months? or will it just screw up some more stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Shinibents

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a join between the muffler and the resionator but seems the rest of the pipe fell apart I would say it is time to get a cat back ehaust kit from the parts store. Chances of getting the broken pipe out of the muffler are slim and none....slim just left town. Or if you wanted to you could just break off the pipe comming out of the muffler and let it ride for a bit. Might get a ehaust smell inside the Explorer..other than that you should be ok.

Mine is being held in place using wire. Been hat way for 6 months now. Hope to replace it when the weather gets better. Wire it and relax.

I had the same problem on my 92. If you disconnect it at the rear of the muffler, you will get nasty fumes inside the truck. You can get a cat back setup for less that $100. If you are doing it on you back, you will need to get the back end up far enough to get the resanator and over the axel pipe in. Pretty easy repar if you can get the old pipe off the back of the muffler cleanly.

Man, go to a quality muffler shop and have them make you a replacement pipe. If you keep driving it and the fume enter the vehicle, you can get serious brain damage or dead! $50 is cheap compared to medical bills..

Back