Fixing Overhead Console with broken tabs on 2005 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixing Overhead Console with broken tabs on 2005 Explorer

jeffabram

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Searched high and low and didn't seem to find part of the answer to other questions related to fixing an overhead console that was hanging due to tabs on the plastic mounting bracket breaking. The issue I have is how to get the plastic bracket off? I've taken the two mounting screws off but the roof material seems to be so well fitted around the console that I can't get the loosened plastic bracket out. Do I need to cut the roof material? Do I need to take all the roofing material down first? Any guidance on this would be helpful.

Novice car repairer :)

Have you had any luck replacing that overhead console mounting bracket? I've got the same issue with my '05 Explorer EB at the moment and looking for any input.

The mounting bracket (the part that is attached to the ceiling with 2 screws) had broken in several pieces so I was able to get the old bracket out in pieces. So far it appears the replacement bracket won't go in without dropping at least the front of the headliner. Has anyone done this replacement? It appears that I might be able to remove both sunvisors and there may be enough flexibility at the front of the headliner to slip the bracket in between the ceiling and headliner. I'd prefer not to have to remove the a-pillar covers if I don't have to.

Thanks for any input.

Back