Fixing that Faded Trim : Pics!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixing that Faded Trim : Pics!!!

Ok so today I had a little extra time on my hands and what did I do, work with my explorer of course! I am so tired of those ugly faded trim peices, so I jumped on here, found a thread about painting them, and did it! However, I noticed noone ever posts pics of their finished work to show that it DOES help make it look better. So say no more, here they are:

9686.jpg

9689.jpg

9688.jpg

9687.jpg

9690.jpg

For those interesed, I just went down to Autozone, picked up some Dupli-color "trim paint" in a spray car, and some 400 grit sand paper... sand it off, wipe it clean with a damp cloth, and spray away. Of course tape the area so you dont get overspray. (I could care less and just prayed I wouldnt screw anything up, and I was ok! No major overspray here!!!)

Anyways, any comments/questions... go ahead and ask... if I cant help, someone probably can.
--bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well done looks nice:) . Just goes to show what a little determination will get you, given the inclination in the first place.
All the best

Mine's made of glass better not paint it then. Is this a case of if it move grease it if not paint it.:D

Looks good man, I did mine recently and my mirrors a while back (Yeah, I'm one of those without pics..) On the before pics of the hatch area, those taken before or after sanding?

Originally posted by ChuckyD
1st gen x sunroofs have the same painted trim ... mine is pealing.

Yeah, thanks for reminding me... I try not to look up there too much... :p

Thanks for the pics. Looks really nice & clean.
Now I gotta get myself going with the rattle can.

Thanks for the pic.s Ive been looking at the dupli-color but the lid looked so shiny. now I know it looks fine , guess ill go for it .

dejello - yes, those before pics were taken PRIOR to sanding. I didnt take any "during" shots. sorry.

toad - the can I got of dupli-color actually is called "trim paint." they also carry a product called "bumper paint" which one can only assume is for painting the bumper. Which I AM considering doing. Also, your running a 2" BL with 31's? How hard was the BL to install? Do you have any other pics of your vehicle... I want to lift it, and put 31's, but I dont want to have to extend any lines like with a 3" BL. Know what I mean? So yeah, thanks for any info you can give...

Glad I could help with the pics guys.
--bryan

there is another way, but it is more work and not everyone likes it.

Attachments

• 101-0118_img.jpg
    101-0118_img.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 512

and

Attachments

• carbonfiger.jpg
    carbonfiger.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 554

f

Attachments

• 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 493

carbon fiber? right? I was looking at that 3 step chamelion color stuff... you know that ricer colored crap that looks blue from one angle, purple at another, and green at another... but then I thought to myself, "are you nuts..." and went with black. :)

Wow that really looks great...Ive got to go to autozone tomorrow so maybe ill get ambitious and do mine...I attempted to wax them to make it look better, but the wax stuck and turned them white/grey...yuck!

Heh, I'm another one who's done it but didn't post any pics. :p I went all out though and painted all the black trim, not just the pillars (masking and papering everything off took a whole day by itself). Here's the best pic I have as to how it came out:

Back2.jpg

Looks great Bryan!

Mike

Bryan- yea Ive seen it marked trim paint, Body lift wasnt too hard just time consuming and raising the bumpers is a pain. You dont have to do brake lines with body lifts just suspension . I have a few other pic,s in the gallery but not many good ones.
, any other ?,s Id be glad to try to help . Good luck

I am lucky then.....XL's come with that liftgate part painted body color. There is no trim there at all, just the metal liftgate. I of course still have the black door trim:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Soundguy01tx
dejello - yes, those before pics were taken PRIOR to sanding. I didnt take any "during" shots.

Geez... That's bad (at least compared to how mine were, that's why I asked)...

Back