Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How to: Ford Explorer Fuel Pump Electrical Procedure

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by 2000StreetRod, February 1, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. CustomCoffinWork

CustomCoffinWork New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer XLT 2WD
    So did you ever find out whgat the issue was. I'm now having the same problems.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. bobo10

bobo10 New Member

2001 Explorer
    I even bought a code reader to see if I could catch it when it happens. But sense I bought it, it hasn't acted up sense. One thing that I have done was parking back -up in the drive just in case I might have fluid draining out of the fuel rail. But I don't think that is the problem. I do know that it can't be the fuel pump because the vehicle doesn't skip a beat when I drive. There is know hesitation or anything. I just know that when it doesn't start, once it does it will run all the time. This has only happened in November of last year and the year before and not at any other time. Nobody has worked on anything that could've cause a wire pinch or any thing. I am sorry that yous is causing you problems. If it wasn't for this problem, it is a great vehicle. If I ever find the answer I will post it.

4. pjfsail

pjfsail Member

2000 Mercury Mountaineer
    I'm stuck at procedure #2 I don;'t hear very well so I need to get my wife to help me as soon as she is available to get through the first part of #2.. My Mountaineer has a V-8 and the procedure you recommend is for a V-6 Is the procedure you recommend the same. I will buy the tester you have shown in the piece from Harbor Freight the next time we go to town.

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    The fuel pump initial priming only lasts about a second, not a few. If everything else seems fine, it's a good idea to go rent a fuel pressure tester from a parts store, and check it. The 1999 up Fords should all have a steady 62-65psi running, or off with the ignition on. It should pop up to that almost immediately when the key is turned on. If it's low or slow to come up, then the pump is likely bad or going out. It is possible to have a break in the rubber line inside the tank, and that will bleed off pressure. So if pressure is a little low, don't immediately condemn the pump, although it's senseless to drop the tank and not replace the pump.

You can buy a new pump on eBay for under $45;NEW Bosch Electric Fuel Pump Kit 69128 Ford F150 E150 Contour Explorer 1988-2004 | eBay