Ford Lawsuit yields 350 mil | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Lawsuit yields 350 mil

^ i agree

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, what this boils down to is a severe lack of driver training. Driver's Education as a high school class (or private lessons) is a waste of time and taxpayer's money. When my kids are ready to earn their driver's license, part of their training will be a high performance driver's school (that will include a refresher course for me). I cannot tell you how many potential accident situations I've avoided because of the education and training I recieved while earning my SCCA competition license.

BTW, who do you think is going to pay for that judgement against Ford? That's right, the consumer. Ford will simply raise the price on every vehicle it sells by .1% and make that cash right back.

Just my $0.02 - Dave.

I would love to see some real evidence that suggests the Explorer is more prone to rollover then the 4Runner, Cherokee, etc of the same era. To me, Ford has taken the heat because of the Firestone situation and the fact that there are MANY more Explorers on the road then any other SUV. Those factors made Ford a better target then any other manufacturer.

BBQ_Hot Dogs, I realize how sad a situation you've had to deal with, but if you don't mind, I'd like to hear how the accident happened and what your opinion is on who was at fault. If you blame Ford, it would surprise me that you're spending the amount of money you are on your own Explorer.

jayhawkexplorer said:
BBQ_Hot Dogs, I realize how sad a situation you've had to deal with, but if you don't mind, I'd like to hear how the accident happened and what your opinion is on who was at fault. If you blame Ford, it would surprise me that you're spending the amount of money you are on your own Explorer.
My sister-in-law left my house Sunday afternoon after we did a weekend garage sell. On her way home that night she took a back road, country road to be exact. A deer jumped out in front of the truck. She swerved to miss hitting the deer and the Explorer rolled. Her speed was around 40 to 45 mph. We haven't discussed this too much with her because it is so tragic and we don't think she is ready to discuss all of the details yet. But that is what I know. The road was only a double wide, meaning 1 lane going in both directions, your standard road paved with concrete. She did not leave the road either, her tire tracks show the vehicle stayed on pavement the whole time till it rolled. Then it left and went off the road. Worst thing was, she was holding her oldest, the one that passed away, in her lap as people drove by. She tried to flag someone down for help, all of the jackasses just kept on going. At least someone was smart enough to call 911 for assistance. She said she was there for about 40 to 45 minutes before the police and ambulance arrived. It's very sad.

Edit to add this;

I see allot of "opinions" here, and that is exactly what they are, opinions. I looked at the site of the accident. I can see and have seen deer jump out from no where in front of vehicles because they get blinded and spooked. There was no reason for that vehicle to roll. It should have slid if anything. I also don't beleive that there are any 2 vehicles exactly alike. Tire pressure and wear has allot to do with the way a vehicle reacts in a split second. Her tires were at proper levels as recommended by both Ford and the maker of the tires, trust me, they checked them and documented all evidence. The police officer who did the investigation did not blame driver error either. Every incident is different. That's why they call them "accidents" and for someone to try and make an opinion on a circumstance without knowing "all" of the details, is nothing more than an opinion. That is why we have courts today with a judge and a jury. To hear "all" of the evidence and see pictures of exactly what happened. No one can sit and make a fair decision on any accident with a fatality without knowing "everything". Tire thread condition, tire pressure, brand of tires, road condition, surface of road, rate of speed, condition of the vehicle's suspension, vehicle's weight at the time of the accident, and on and on. But you get the picture, I hope. Does my opinion in this case really matter as to whom I blame? Why did I lose my nephew when a vehicle should have remained on all 4's instead of rolling over? (Only my opinion from what I know) Will my Explorer roll over if the exact same situation should occur? Many questions and "no one" can give the correct answer until it actually happens. And then, 2 vehicles that are the exact makes and models with different drivers will give different results. Am I worried I could be next, or even worse, my 10 year old daughter? Hell yes I am. But when it is my time, I am ready to meet my maker.... That was one of the main reasons I decided to lower my vehicle with the Explorer Express X-Spec Kit and widen my tires and wheels.

Thanks for the response BBQ. Your family is in my prayers. In that situation, it certainly sounds like there was a problem with the truck.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Thanks for the response BBQ. Your family is in my prayers. In that situation, it certainly sounds like there was a problem with the truck.
Thank you. And keep in mind that is just 1 instance. There are many more and without knowing "all" of the details, it's hard to sit here and say who is at fault, the driver, tires, or the Explorer. I mean who knows, if she would have been in my Explorer, it might have gripped the road and took her out of it, someone elses Explorer may not have even reacted and just hit the deer, knocking it into the windshield or something, and then someone else's completely different Explorer may have done the same exact things but then rolled even more and could have even caught on fire and killed everyone. Just too many small things can change each and every situation and without knowing all of the facts, no one can make a call and say driver error or Explorer error. In my opinion, that's just silly to even try.

Back