Found the stang - now what? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found the stang - now what?

Hey guys - found the stang - a '94 coupe with manual tranny. I noticed these are stock 215hp and at best 3.27 gears. Question is this - on the 5.0, what are the quickest mods to get the hp number higher? I am going to add new exhaust and air filter right out of the box, as well as plugs, wires and so on. Come January/February I will be adding a blower. Is a chip a good move at this point? I would like to grab another 50-100 hp before rebuilding the bottom half.

Also - how easy is a cam swap? Does the block need to be pulled?

Thanks for the help!

BTW - Troll - if yiou read this, email me - I am close to you and would be interested in your opinions and having your shop do some work on this for me.

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the process? Pull the timing-chain cover and pull and replace?

J

GEARS. run some 3.73's or 4.10's.

:)

Gears will definitely be done - will add an Eaton or Auburn at the same time.

I know therre is a lot of power hidden in these 5.0's. What is the most effective way to tap it? The goal is to have it stroked and SC'd in a year, but I would like to get all the little things done prior. Is it worth porting stock heads? I read somewhere it may not be worth it. I also read the GT-40 heads don't have headers available for them.

Man - the issues we go through to run through deep slop and drive fast on the street! ;)

J

Did I mention I have some 3.73's for the 8.8 for sale? :)

They are Ford gears came out of my 97 8.8 Explorer rear with about 60K miles on them, perfect shape, no visible signs of wear. $80 + shipping takes em.

I also have a set of 4.10 Motive ring and pinion for an 8.8 brand new in box, $160 takes those.

I also have OEM 3.73's for the D35 TTB (reverse cut) $50 for those....... :)

Aftermarket intake,bigger throttle body,let that baby breathe.Gears,and tweak the timing.Best time to change cam would be when you do the intake.Some aftermarket aluminum heads would bolt on 40 to 50 horse,or just upgrade the roller rockers on yours:D

How easy is it to upgrade the rockers? Also - is this an OHC? Just remove the intake and there it is?

J

94 is still the 5.0 which is great roller rockers are very easy to do I just put new ones on my stang last week just pop the vavle covers and there they are:D

I assume this is an overhead cam motor? When I take the intake off the cam will be there?

J

BTW - How much do the new rockers cost?

You dont have the overhead cam,no you have to pull the timing cover and water pump to get to your cam

nope. cam is in the CORRECT spot, in the center right were it should be;) . so you want 300 rear wheel or 300 on the motor (for now)? 300 on the motor can be attained very easy. get an intake, some heads, and a cam and you will be closer to 350hp(motor). if you want some good cheap heads, look at the World Products Windsor Jr./Roush 180 heads. two names, same head. intake i would go with either Edelbrock or Trick Flow street. wait on the cam if you are getting a charger. get a cam specifically for charged application. understand the stock injectors and fuel pump will be maxed out around 320-350, so those issues will have to be addressed. get a bigger MAS and throttle body, but be sure to get MAS calibrated to run the injector size you want. dont bother with the chip until you get the charger on. 3:73's will be perfect. 4:10's are a little steep on a 5 liter stang unless you have a monster cam. headers, H or X pipe, etc. will help quite a bit. with a stroker and a charger running around 8psi you should get 400+ on the motor EASY. that is a very conservative estimate. if all you want overall is 350hp then there really is no need for a charger.

A good set of rockers will run you about 200,my setup that is in my sig is hitting around 300hp.If you have a auto go with 4.10 if its a stick go with 3.55.I have the 3.73 and I have no first gear it seems like I am always shifting:(

I am with James T on the mass air meter and injectors I moved up to 24# injectors and a pro-m bullit and it was like night and day,my car loves the fuel:)

Ok,
Getting a clearer picture here...

Heads, intake, MAS, TB, new exhaust should get me close to my short-term goals. Adding a cam and a SC should put me over - not that that's a bad thing! :D

Cam, SC and chip at the same time. Gears anytime along the way. Ok - I am getting excited - may have stage 1 done fairly soon. I want to try driving at the track. I never have, so timing would be way off, but if I get the 3.73's and 300 at the motor, what sort of times should I expect?

Man - this is way too cool - productivity is way down today!

J

Ok - I have a stick - 3.55's sounds better. Actually, I can stay with the 3.27's for a while too...

J

You should be in the 12's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

12's? Cool!

I have visions of a vanity plate...

VPR KLR

Got a long way to go though :D

J

Back