Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Front CV Axle questions

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by ROBinGa, September 16, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ROBinGa

ROBinGa Active Member

City, State:
    Ga
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
    I have 2003 XLT 4.6 4x4. I noticed greenish grease globs on front driver side lower control arm and traced it to a split in the outer boot of CV Axle. Looks to have only recently started throwing out grease. Going to swap out that CV axle for a new one from Cardone. While checking out several YouTube videos I never see any gear fluid coming out of the hole when people pry or knock out the axle and remove it. But on other car makes in some of those videos there is fluid escaping when axle comes out. Is fluid coming out and collection not an issue with Ford Explorer? I don’t see any issues with passenger side yet so do I leave it alone or do this in pairs? Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Joe in NY

Joe in NY Active Member

City, State:
    Binghamton, NY
    2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4X4
    No Issues. You might get some coming out depending the angle of the car.

4. ROBinGa

ROBinGa Active Member

City, State:
    Ga
    2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
    Ok thanks. It will be on jack stand and I’m guessing at an angle where it can’t run uphill.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    I yanked my drivers side to replace a leaking seal. Nothing came out. But again, it had been leaking.