• Register Today It's free!

Front Differential

CodyN1991

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer
Anyone ever have a problem with their front diffs? The gems making a noise up front and I've replaced both wheel hubs, one axle, swapped the tires, and dropped the driveshaft from the TC to the diff. My car sounds like im driving over rumble strips. Just curious to see if anyone has had a similar problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, I have an 2002 AWD XLT and began to have the same issue. Anybody have any ideas??????

same here when i turn sounds like rumble vibrations coming from everywhere ive replaced both front axles no luck with that wheel bearings are fine on front this seems to be a big mystery for this truck ,, i have not a clue ive ask over and over on this site nobody seems to know

Good mechanics

I found the solution to my problem...an awesome mecahnic. Previous mechanics had told me the noise was a front bearing. They said since the Explorer was AWD there was no way to spin the tires without spinning the others and thus could not determine what bearing was bad. Yeah right! Don't have all the tires off the ground... anyway. They convinced me it was the front drivers side bearing..wrong. Next was the front passenger CV axle...wrong again. Next was tires are worn out..wrong So several hundreds of dollars later still have this noise. Found this awesome mechanic who knew his stuff and found the rear drivers side bearing was shot...no more noise!!

In other words, get multiple opinions if needed. It could have saved me hundreds.

PS- I did check the bearings myself after reading several posts here and there was no grinding or any noise while spinning nor any play in the wheel when I grabbed anf pushed/pulled the tire. Go figure.

Back