front drive shaft turns but no 4h or 4lo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front drive shaft turns but no 4h or 4lo

benjamin222

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
i have a 96 xlt control trac and have read numerous threads here and couldn't quite find an answer.
short version. i have my 96 up on stands, in any mode i.e. 2h 4h 4lo my front drive shaft is turning when in gear. i had thought it was the shift moter but i removed it and checked position reinstalled it, changed position on dash removed the shift motor checked position and it was in the proper mode to the switch.
i have no transfer from the drive shaft through the diff to the axles. i don't think it is the vacuum shift on the axle because at least my front left tire should be turning no matter what.
now the twist, my abs hcu is bad (c1206) is this causing some sort of goofy limp mode, or as it seems to me a bad front diff and a stuck clucth coil in the transfer case. thanks
p.s. i hope i filled this out corectly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read many recent posts here about a vacuum disconnect in the front diff as a common failure point.

doesn't explain the transfer case

thanks drdoom i will look at the vacuum, however it does not answer the question in regards to the front drive shaft always being engaged, i haven't seen any info anywhere that has a vacuum to the transfer case.

Benjamin, I see what you are saying about the clutch...I work on a '97 which is a little different, so I am sorry I don't know enough about the '95-'96.

Actually, if the right side of the axle is not connecting then no the left front tire will not turn, because its an open diff and with a tires being on it it would take more power to turn the left so it would spin the right side axle shaft because its putting power to the easiest shaft to spin.

Back