front turning problem??

bowserfins

Reaction score
City, State
Hillbilly,Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Hey,

Im a total newb and not that technically smart when it comes to automobiles...

I've owned my 02 XLT for just over six months and I love it, but for the past month or so Ive been having difficulty making "hard," turns, such as parking in a 90 degree angle space or making a right or left turn at intersections. The wheels jerk, hesitate, and so on. Originally, I thought it could have something to do with the auto 4-wheel drive function OR something rubbing.. After manually checking I saw no rubbing and after running a carfax Ive noticed this vehicle has never been in a reported accident... So at first it wouldn't happen that often, but now, a month later it happens every time.. To add to the matter, the 4wheel drive light in the dash has been seen flashing, but only during one drive.....

Can anyone clue me in somewhat??

The only good news is that I just received a card in the mail about extending the manufacturer's warranty.. Ive still to look into it though..

Thanks guys...

extend that warranty and get it into the shop. Earlier explorers had rack and pinion problems with their steering. Basically it's what your saying; jerks and is hesitant. It moves in "steps" instead of a smooth turn. You could try and flush your rack and pinoin somehow, but I don't know how to do it without the right machines and stuff. Anyway - the 4wd could be a problem as well, hopefully it isn't stuck in 4wd. 4wd would cause a hard turning like that on dry pavement. Good luck

-Drew

thanks

thanks for the insight!!!

Im guessing its probably more the rack & pinion, if it were stuck in 4wheel drive Id be getting terrible gas mileage, even worse than the bad rep suv's already get..... I thought it might be engaging itself upon the hard turn, but the rack & pinion seems more logical..... Thanks very much!!!! :thumbsup:

Heres the kicker.. Some lame dude hit me while I was parked about a week ago... The damage isn't all that serious, but its nice and expensive $2500!!!!!
Luckily, the culprit's policy is footing the bill via his State Farm insurance!!!
Anywho the truck is going to be in the body shop for 6 days starting Monday, and then to top that off Ill be turning around and going to see Johnny Mechanic!!!!

Here's to health, thanks again!!!!!!

Are you sure it's not coming out of the rear end. I have a 2003 XLT that i purchaced used (70K) from a GM dealer in which may have the same problem. Prior to me purchacing the vehicle, GM changed the the rear diff. fluid....I took it to my Ford mechanic for a little trouble shooting, and they said that GM may have not added the correct fliud and or not added the additive. They also mentioned that i could be the possie clutch plate not slipping correctly, (where the additive comes in) so when you're turning, the plate doesn't "slip" easliy. Neadless to say, i'm still under warrenty so i'm taking it back in to get fixed.

Back