Gear oil re-revisited, again..

2000exploded

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Vin:X
Sorry to beat this one to death, but...

I have a 2000 ford explorer XLT (vin:X) with a Non-limited slip rear diff.

Axle code: 46

3.73 8.8 etc..

So, my rear is leaking and I'm about to do the fluid change but I'm very confused about which gear oil to use.

The manual say that some ford explorers have a conventional rear axle and in that case to use the 80w90 gear oil.

On the other hand it say any explorer with a 3.73 ratio v6 (which I have) requires the synthetic 75w140 gear oil.

Then I read all kind of conflicting recommendations about using either oil, so which one is right?

The explorer has 140K miles and I'm just trying to hold it together, the extra expense for synthetic is ridicoulous for me, but if its required ill use it.

Also, I don't have a LS but the synth oil States its ok for LS diffs as well as conventional diffs, will this mess anything up? I just want to put back what was in there to begin with
Thanks for any suggestionsonuy the synthetic gear oil?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your choice

Conventional Oil use 80W-90
If you choose Synthetic then use 75W-140

My .02 cents, fix the leak and put the dino juice 80W-90 in it.

If you have the axle that requires synthetic, you should see on it a tag like this:

P1020343.png

In mine I used Mobile1 at $20/qt, but if you are looking for cheap, Wallmart sells "Super Tech 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil" for $12/qt.

great

Thank u all for ur replies.

Ive opted on the safe side and am going to do the job 2moro with the synth 75w140 .

I also bought 80w90 for the front and mercon ATF for the x-fer case, I figure ill change those fluids aswell. Since the front axle is not leaking im thinking of just sucking the fluid out of it with a vacuum pump (no drain port and the cover bolts are crazy hard to reach) and then refill with new fluid.

Anyone think that's a bad idea? How about the x-fer case fluid? Should I just leave well enough alone? Lol.

What about the transmission, is it a good idea to drop that pan and replace that fluid aswell?

Thanks again!

I like your plan of attack on the front diff. You can change the xfer case fluid if it's been a while. Won't hurt anything. Now the tranny fluid...that depends. When was it changed last? If it's been a very long time, I wouldn't suggest much more than dropping the pan, changing the filter, and topping it off. Don't flush it. If you've been doing the tranny fluid regularly, feel free to continue.

LOL, the last time the pan was dropped was in 2000 right before it was put together. :) Ive never touched any of these sytems, but I really love this truck and with 140k mi I'm trying to show it some love... not going to go too crazy, but after I address those systems ill prob drop the pan and change the filter as you've suggested. Roughly how much tranny fluid will be lost on that procedure?

Thanks again, great forum btw!

Next project, figure out where the heck this oil leak is coming from, I'm praying for a bad oil pressure sending unit atleast that's simple. I go to check the oil level today and the oil dipstick handle snaps off! Ha, fun..

She just got all new brake pads/rotors/fluid and front wheel bearings. One thing @ a time I guess. The ugliest car ive ever had (was in a rollover 7 years ago! Never repainted it) but it still freaking runs! Gotta respect that, lol!

So I did the job several hours ago and it was a complete success. Should I wait 24hrs before driving the car since I used the form-a-gasket material and it needs 24hrs to fully cure? Or can I just drive it around now?

Thanks all

Back