• Register Today It's free!

general question

trashtruck

Reaction score
City, State
capital district, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xlt 4x4
this would apply to any gen explorer. turning the vehicle off after running, is the fuel gauge supposed to drop to empty? i know some vehicles do and some don't. the reason I ask is when i turn my 92 xlt off the fuel drops about 1/4 tank overnight so with a full tank I'm reading 3/4 tank untill I turn the key and it will show full again. is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Mine moved on its own when the key was off to a slighrly lower than true position.

cool. thanks. i feel better knowing I'm not alone.

Totally normal. The fuel gauge uses a resistor and capacitor to reduce "bounce" when the key is turned of the capacitor discharges causing the gauge to move a bit.

Old school cars don't have this so when the fuel sloshes around the gauge swings wildly.

So, when I go up a hill or accelerate quickly my gauge reads higher ... and then when coming to a quick stop or going down a hill it reads lower .. Is this also normal ?

When the vehicle was in it's early years the gauge did not waver like this. It happened after changing to an aftermarket fuel pump. The first time I changed the fuel pump/sending unit was at the dealer when it was 6-7 years old. And I did not experience this issue. But in it's later life when that pump/sending unit failed I used aftermarket units and the issue started (changed pump/sending unit 2X)

i think what you may be experiencing is the difference between the stock ford brass float and the plastic float used in a lot of aftermarket units. if it's not wildly erratic, i would consider it normal.

Back