Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

general question

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by trashtruck, April 1, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. trashtruck

trashtruck Active Member

City, State:
    capital district, ny
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1992 explorer xlt 4x4
    this would apply to any gen explorer. turning the vehicle off after running, is the fuel gauge supposed to drop to empty? i know some vehicles do and some don't. the reason I ask is when i turn my 92 xlt off the fuel drops about 1/4 tank overnight so with a full tank I'm reading 3/4 tank untill I turn the key and it will show full again. is this normal?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Wolfie_85

Wolfie_85 Active Member

City, State:
    Iowa
    1994 Ford Explorer XLT
    Yes. Mine moved on its own when the key was off to a slighrly lower than true position.

4. trashtruck

trashtruck Active Member

City, State:
    capital district, ny
    1992 explorer xlt 4x4
    cool. thanks. i feel better knowing I'm not alone.

5. FR-425

FR-425 Used to be a road here. Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Phoenix, AZ.
    1994 Explorer Limited
    Totally normal. The fuel gauge uses a resistor and capacitor to reduce "bounce" when the key is turned of the capacitor discharges causing the gauge to move a bit.

Old school cars don't have this so when the fuel sloshes around the gauge swings wildly.

6. Watchman

Watchman Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Virginia
    1993 Explorer Sport-4WD
    So, when I go up a hill or accelerate quickly my gauge reads higher ... and then when coming to a quick stop or going down a hill it reads lower .. Is this also normal ?

When the vehicle was in it's early years the gauge did not waver like this. It happened after changing to an aftermarket fuel pump. The first time I changed the fuel pump/sending unit was at the dealer when it was 6-7 years old. And I did not experience this issue. But in it's later life when that pump/sending unit failed I used aftermarket units and the issue started (changed pump/sending unit 2X)

7. trashtruck

trashtruck Active Member

City, State:
    capital district, ny
    1992 explorer xlt 4x4
    i think what you may be experiencing is the difference between the stock ford brass float and the plastic float used in a lot of aftermarket units. if it's not wildly erratic, i would consider it normal.

Last edited: April 5, 2016