Goodyear Wrangler Radials | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodyear Wrangler Radials

Need to replace the bfg's, as they are almost bald and winter is coming...

Found Goodyear Wrangler Radials at Walmart for 50.00 a piece plus all the extra stuff-total comes to 256.00. Just kind of wondering why they are so cheap and if they are any good. Size is 235/75/15 on stock rims. I haven't done any offroading, mainly street. When I bought the truck last Feb, sudden snow hit and the bfg's worked okay(with less than 50% tread, I think). I really don't have the money to spend for more expensive tires. I've checked the internet for these tires and have been able to come up with nothing as far as recalls.

So, are these any good? Have they been discontinued(thus being so cheap), or are they unsafe? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob:afro:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are they all-season?

You can usually by non-all season tires cheaper than the all season counterpart.

(they might also be called highway tires, actually come to think of it some of the highway tires are all-season also)

anyway, they are for climates where it won't be getting wet or snowy. Probably doesn't apply in your region.

They are also good for the old timers that won't drive unless it is 80 and not a drop of anything within 300 miles.

check on them being all-season tires.

Make sure they are also for your vehicle type. An explorer is pretty heavy compared to a coupe. even though it is the right size it might not have the proper load ratings with it for your vehicle

best of luck

hope you just found yourself a deal. but since you asked i guess there are a few things you could check on

Wal-mart usually has a tire called the BFG LandTerrain. I looked at it extensively before lifting my truck. As my tires were shot and I was about to replace the stock tires. They are all seasion, with a good load rating for the explorers. These are the same carcass tire as the rouged terrain (*sp) that the Toyota Tacomas and 4Runners come with. Not sure how much of a price differance there is between the BFG and Goodyear.

I work for Goodyear, the goodyear wrangler radial is discontinued, thats why they are so cheap. actually, they are getting very hard to find nationally, so your wont be able to replace them.
the wrangler rts is the replacment if your wondering.

Wrangler Radials

I also just put a set of these on yesterday and for the price I cannot how well they ride. I do not hear them as being loud at all. They do look a bit smaller then the tires that came off the truck, but they ride very good for a 50.00 tire

I had a set of these before I got my 31's. They were OK street tires but off road they were pretty much worthless. They also weren't very good in rainy or snowy conditions. So basically if you are going to do a lot of highway driving with not too much driving in fowl weather, then they will probably be a decent tire.

Just my .02 :dunno:

We have the Wrangler Radials on one of our X's (93 4x4).

She can attest to the fact that they didn't get her out of the creek she tried to cross. (sunk it to the frame.. heh)

However I was well pleased with their performance in the rain personally. We went for a spin a few days after installation in a heavy downpour and had no complaints at all.

For the money I'd go for it.

Glad to know they are discontinued (not really).. I will see about snagging a backup set.

I have to say, find a little extra $$$ and spring for some BFG's, whether Rugged Trail, Long Trail or All Terrains. Well made, long lasting tire that is good in weather. Seeing how you are in CT you get snow.

Sorry Arsoul, I know you work for Good Year but I've never had a good experience with Good For A Years. Wear quickly and were not all that impressive in rain or snow.

One of my buddies had a set on his late 80's/early 90's Chevy 4x4. Mediocre in everything, spectacular in nothing...

Do not buy. I purchased a set of four and have had to replace 3 of the four. I don't off road and have had two sidewall punctures and one that just wouldn't hold air. They start cracking after 25000 miles and start to look like crap. Spend an extra 5-10 bucks a tire and get a different brand. They're cheap for a reason.....:thumbdwn:

One of my buddies had a set on his late 80's/early 90's Chevy 4x4. Mediocre in everything, spectacular in nothing...

Sounds like every Goodyear tire I've tried on several cars and trucks. Sorry, but I won't waste any more money on their tires. There are much better tires out there near the same price.

...You get what you pay for...Goodyear as well as other manufacturer's also have better tires for a price...;)

Not that Goodyear is bad. It is just this particular type they make. I like some of their other tires.

I have to say, find a little extra $$$ and spring for some BFG's, whether Rugged Trail, Long Trail or All Terrains. Well made, long lasting tire that is good in weather. Seeing how you are in CT you get snow.

Sorry Arsoul, I know you work for Good Year but I've never had a good experience with Good For A Years. Wear quickly and were not all that impressive in rain or snow.

The BFG Longtrails were a great tire, and got my '96 exp though some deep snow. Unfortunately they were discontinued and now they have a Longtrail
"touring" which are more of a street tire. I have Wranglers on my Ranger, and they are very bad in rain and worse in snow. I will not be trying to get through another winter in them, plenty of tread or not they will be going away before next winter. I'm probably going to get BFG All Terrain T/As.

x56745 on how displeased i am with goodyear wranglers. the cooper dicoverererererers that i picked up fairly cheap are a far superior tire to the goodyears, although nothing compares to the BGF all terrain TA K/Os. even with 1/3 tread i could put them on either of my trucks right now and drive through the worst weather confidently. I am actually thinking about picking up some general grabbers, same tread pattern as the BFG AT but at a fraction of the price and ive been hearing nothing but good comments on them.

I have the Wrangler RT/s on my X and they seem to not like snow and ice at all... Once I get going they are fine but taking off and stopping in snow is a challenge

I got wranglers on my ranger 225 14" They are okay but the back end slides when it is wet. You will lose traction alot even with a limited slip rearend. They do better in the snow, but not a whole lot. You need weight in the back. Bf goodrichs are about the best tires I have found, car or truck. Good luck but I have noticed new cheaper tires are way better than old or worn out tires anyday.:D

Back