Ham Radio Guys | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ham Radio Guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me, too. I keep buying the books and never get around to studying and then the question pool changes. I have the Gordon West book, which was recommended to me. Gotta do it this spring.

I've had an Advanced license (no longer issued) since 1968. It's 'way past time to upgrade.

"Bwana" Bob WB2VUF

I got the Gordon West book by accident for general class. Studied it front to back, passed no problem. I never got it for Extra, but it would probably be easier. I think it's memorizing the band chart, and the antenna theory that I get hung up on. I'm an engineer, and when I was younger I thought radio was what I wanted to focus on, until I realized I don't get that stuff so well. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the arrl book's for both technician and the general tests. I used the gordon west book for the extra class. For the technician test i read the first chapter and read all of the test questions once. past it with flying colors the first try. For the general class i read the whole book and used the test app on my phone till i was comfortable with my scoring. Passed that first try and tried the extra test, not so good there with no studying.. For the extra class i read through the book once used the app test for a whole night and then took the test and just passed...:D
There is no band plan to memorize for the extra class test, that was in the general class test questions. It is more based on electronics and radio theory as well as the components of a radio. Also a fair amount on antennas and antenna theory. I learned quite a bit studying for the extra class test. I like not being limited on the bands now as well as being a super nerd....
I took the test to be a VE a week or so after passing my extra test and i am listed on the site now. Just waiting for my credentials to arrive. I have committed to doing field day with some friends and we will be testing a couple of people during it.

Ham Radio Ops

SethD,

I don't think we've ever actually compiled a list of the Hams here on the Message Board, but it's a good idea! Also, I'm not sure if a topic search would turn up a good reliable count, but I can give a basic list. If someone isn't included, please don't take it personally, just jump in and give us your name and call.

Roster of Hams using the Mesage Board
The following hams have recently posted (in no particular order):

Rick AB7FH
Char KB7TKQ
Sandy N1MAU
AL (asp84) KD7OUM
Ron (RonB) N2IIE
Ed (scratched'95) KD7NBH
Joe (Granolajoe) KB1HMG
KMac K4KEM
SethD KG4LGT
DaveW KA9WGG
02explore KF8MY
JamminG4Jim AA0UP
John (jneverett) KB5OYG
Pat (corv78) N3GWZ
Jerry (jerry4959) N5DTR
Bill WA6PMW
Rich KC0CHJ
Tom (tdavis) KG6MAX
Kevin (Keypoppapump) AC6GE
Jeremy (sodjer6) KC0HWJ
Alfredo LU2AEC (Argentina)
Alan (Pup) WU9X
Bob (Bwana Bob) WB2VUF
Steve (mathnerd) N7TUI
Randy (rmbelcher) KC8CPK
Rally Ex KB8SRK
David (dhc40) N4AQL
Ben (FIREMEDIC) KD5CJE
George, (hamexplorer) KG2RO
Matt (MattHarrell) KG4QXL
Jon (jknapp6) KB8KLK
Robert (Oswap) KG6EAQ
Bill (Aussielocker) WB5QVX
Brian (Monitor142) KE6NCQ
Mike (cheezwarrior) KG4GHN
Terry (White91XLT) KF4PPT
Leon (VAHAM) KE4TSP
Charles, (Standingbear73) WD8PEI
Gary (Gary Gill) N9ZYE
Joe DeJesus KI4CYB
Kevin (SAR EMT) N6QGV
Keith (Southernsnake) KB3CCN
Blaine (blainefox) N9CXX
Joel (jeepmaster) KF6PBX
Doug (dougmc) KC9FGO
Chris N8WGB
Bob (BigBearBob) KG6POG
Tommy (tommyussery) N5YIY
Chad (Rangerboy) K9SFD
David (djwgmc) VE3ORD
James (007) KB9KBK
Carlos (Spoondude) KA1VDZ
Dave (DaveF) N0KAT
Don (DonE) KC9FQG
Ron (VE4RON) VE4RON
Kevin (kfkodiak) KC7UXR
Joe (Joe E) K2UX
John (n3elz) N3ELZ
Brian (brianness) AE6RB
Scott (evoq007) KB1LOB
Shane (hamsport010 KD5RVI
Alex (alexefron) KC2JRS
John (jukejohn) N9IKM
Dave (Nasty350LT1) N2JBO
Ken (pickupman) KC9UMR
Sandy (K-9Search) KG2MM
G.M. (gmas) WA6CDE
Adrienne (ranger princess) KD9ARC
Andy (Zebodoba) KF6TJR
Rendell (rendell) N7YTX
Ken (Ken Roussin) KG6JAT
David (91Expgeek) W6TUX
Stephen (Desert Ranger) KE6GMD
Kyle (King Troll) KE6LHW
Judith (Lady Rin) KE6LHV
Jeremy (Free Wheelin 4X4) KB3DLP
Jon (Jon Burns) 2E0 WVZ (UK Call)
Matt (stormadvisor) KC8BEW
Rich (rscalzo) N2TQS
Craig (Craig) WD8BDQ
Glenn (gjw02) WA5TLY
Bill, (K8WHT) K8WHT
Paul (85GT50) K4KX
Tony (N0ADK) N0ADK
Larry (Utah Jake) WA7ZBO
Ray AE6H

Total: 85. "Any late or missed check -ins, please come now"!

Jerry (JerryTheExplorer) N9EKM

Well I don't have an explorer but an awd Aerostar . If in the Vegas are can do a meetup at hover dam ect.... Haveing a ham listing on the fourm might not be bad. Most peepers and off road guys have a tec or run 2m 70cm illegal's with a baofeng when trail ridding were no cell towers are present.

Welcome Guys! Not sure how I missed this, but glad to have you!

Well I managed to get a vanity call sign to go with my geekdom it is a 1 by 2 with my initials so I'm happy about that...

W3JF

Well I managed to get a vanity call sign to go with my geekdom it is a 1 by 2 with my initials so I'm happy about that...

W3JF

Congrats on the new callsign:chug:

Nubie here but with Ford (Mazda) Service.
Wayne Hill
WA4FGN - General - Fort Worth, Tx

Welcome Wayne! Pretty quiet in here, but feel free to make some noise!

Old thread, but just got my license, so throwing my callsign up here.

KJ7QEL out of the Portland, OR area. If anyone has a used mobile unit their thinking of selling, shoot me a message.

Congrats on the new callsign:chug:

Congrats on the new ticket! As for a rig, if you're looking for a 2m single band, I'd probably just recommend new. I got a Yaesu FT1802 back in the day for like $125. Still works great, though I did upgrade to a dual band. Used single band Kenwood or Yaesu at a hamfest probably $70-$80.

Have fun!

Old thread, but just got my license, so throwing my callsign up here.

KJ7QEL out of the Portland, OR area. If anyone has a used mobile unit their thinking of selling, shoot me a message.
My Congrats and Welcome as well!' Since you're looking for a mobile, I recommend a dual band, 2M /70 CM (440) radio, They aren't any larger and don't take up anymore room than a mono band, will operate off a single antenna, as long as it's desined for dual band ops (very common) and you have lots more frequency and repeater options that way.

73 fm Ray, AE6H, AKA Packrat
Usta Mod the HR section.

My Congrats and Welcome as well!' Since you're looking for a mobile, I recommend a dual band, 2M /70 CM (440) radio, They aren't any larger and don't take up anymore room than a mono band, will operate off a single antenna, as long as it's desined for dual band ops (very common) and you have lots more frequency and repeater options that way.

73 fm Ray, AE6H, AKA Packrat
Usta Mod the HR section.

Thanks for that advice. I am kind of on the fence between a Chinese dual band and either a Yaesu or Kenwood single band (there's some labor day rebates right now). The chinese dual bands in the same price range as the other single bands are only 25W compared to 50+W.

I picked up one of the baofeng handhelds so I could at least get WX channels in the backcountry as I do a fair amount of mountaineering. It happened to arrive the day before I was volunteering in a search and rescue. Radios were extremely useful in coordinating the search parties. After that experience I decided to get my license.

Those little Boafengs get the job done. I have one since I don't really use a handheld much, so I didn't want to invest a lot to replace my almost 30 year old Kenwood handheld radio that I started out with.

Really can't go wrong with the 2 meter radios. They're solid. The only real reason I got a dual band was because my smaller car called for a removable faceplate in order to fit it.

Tsherry,

Because we use our mobile ham radios in the back country, I opt for the high power, at least 50W models. A little more range if you get into trouble and need help. And if you do need serious help, you could be regretting the cheaper low power radio! My safety is worth a few extra $$.

As for Chinese radios, Baofeng's are OK, but I've had better luck with TYT and QYT. I avoid BTech, they're rebranded Baofeng's but I've a had 100% failure rate. (3 for 3). In any case and with any online ham radio purchase, I now pop the few extra $$ and buy the extended warranty that Amazon or eBay offer. I've learned that the hard way. The old Big Four brands (Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu) are generally very solid, pricier, but always a good choice.

I recommend whatever radio you purchase, if new, get it from a US based seller, that will back it at least during the factory warranty period.

Just my .02 mHz.

Ray AE6H

Back