Help Please! Need 'How to' on finding and changing MAF sensor -Ford Explorer Sport 99 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Please! Need 'How to' on finding and changing MAF sensor -Ford Explorer Sport 99

lpierce

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Sport 1999
Hi,

So in an effort to not spend alot at the mechanics. I was wondering if someone can tell me two things:

1) How to locate the Mass Air Flow Sensor on my Ford Explorer Sport 1999.

2) A step by step of how to clean the MAF Sensor *PROPERLY.*

At Autozone one of the guys was saying it's like an 8 min. job. If it's something that can be done 'at home' (fyi: I am no mechanic BUT can follow instructions), please let me know.

***If you can include pics of the MAF sensor so that I can identify it, that would be truly appreciated.

Thanks advance for any helpful responses.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. We have several nice how to threads on cleaning the MAF sensor. Check the list of useful threads section on this site. Autozone sells MAF cleaner spray, and intake cleaner spray. Don't use WD-40 since it leaves a thin layer of residue. By the way, the K & N filter that requires oil eventually builds up a layer of oil on the sensing element, so it's not recommended.

Back