hesitation/bucking/uneven idle/loss of power '97 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hesitation/bucking/uneven idle/loss of power '97 Explorer

I didn't get it from a used car dealer, a private party.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it run? A used motor may have just as many problems. If your motor still runs it should be repairable unless its over 200k and it may not be worth it. Cam timing can be set with the motor in. If your cam timing is off enough you may have bent valves, but if it is just a timing issue the cams could be retimed. Have you had the recall/om work done?

I am strongly considering a remanufactured motor instead of a used one.

Did you ever resolve this problem? Mine is doing something similar, no codes, no power, missing, etc...I've given it a full tune up with no change.

Can the timing chain be replaced without pulling the oil pan/motor?

I am having the motor rebuilt, should be done this week. But I heard that last week too! They are waiting for some parts to come in.

did you ever check the fuel pressure?

Yes, the fuel pressure was checked.

ok, that's cool. I have a 1994 XL with 4.0L OHV.... what a piece ... something always takes a dump every few days. I don't go long without getting my hands dirty because of it. LMAO

How many miles do you have on it?

Thats funny, Ive been to Beacon Hills, swam in Lake Zoar sp? And lived ove in Vernon Hills, a pitch from Downers Grove. Whats the word on the engine replacement?

Mine ended up being a timing problem. The primary chain tensioner gave out and let the timing jump one tooth. Still ran, but not very good. It was going to cost about as much to fix that motor as to just replace it, so I put another motor in mine. :(

Well.......I had the motor remanufactured, and it ran great, like new. After about 3 weeks my son got into an accident in it and totalled it. He remembers hearing some kind of clicking noise before getting in the accident. He remembers nothing else but someone knocking on the window trying to get him out of the vehicle, which hit a guardrail and flipped onto the passenger side. There were no other cars involved. I have a suspicion that it was a mechanical failure that caused him to lose control.

I am now in the process of getting a replacement 98 Explorer for my son, am I nuts?

Hit a guardrail, flipped, and walked away? Reason enough to get another one...

Don't know of any mechanical failure (other than blown tire) that would cause accident that wouldn't be easily noticable ie missing wheel etc.

So who out there can explain why a gurgling sound coming from the fuel tank is an indicator of a dying or weak fuel pump. Looking for some historical examples of improvement before I drop the tank and interrogate the pump. I only have 26 psi fuel pressure at idle....

Back