• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Hesitates

Southpaw3612

Reaction score
City, State
Grover Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi, I am new to the forum and don't know too much about working on vehicles. I have recently had a problem with my Explorer hesitating/jerking. I could tell there was a problem when I would start it in the morning, give it some gas and it would hesitate. Then I take off in first and it hesitates and jerks. This eventually became a problem in every gear. I hooked up an OBD2 and it gave me the code P0306. I read around and heard that spark plugs could be the issue so I replaced the plugs and wires both, which was well needed. It seemed like this solved my problem but didn't. I think it was just contributing to the problem. It doesnt hesitate much in first that much, but when I give it gas to pick up speed quick it hesitates. It also hesitates when driving on the freeway, mostly when climbing hills when it give it more gas, but also happens when merging and trying to pick up speed to about 65/70 to merge. Any ideas or help would be gratefully appreciated.

* I have since erased the code to get my check engine light off after replacing the plugs and the light has not come back on. I have driven about 110 miles and no light. I was able to pass smog as well with no problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any problems idling?

Prior to replacing the plugs it was idling around 800 and was shaking pretty good like it wanted to stall. It doesnt really have this probably too bad since then but did drop today to around the same area. I haven't cleaned the MAF. Didnt know you could. Whats the best way to clean this. I also looked around online and saw that it could be the throttle body, maybe?

I just test-drove a 2004 XLT auto today with very similar symptoms, except that it doesn't judder once it starts to accelerate - ie it stutters when cruising, hesitates when you depress the accelerator, and feels like it idles at very low revs (feels like a diesel in idle). Did you get anywhere with yours ? Am very curious to know because other than this the car is very nice, and I'm keen to buy it.

Thread moved to proper forum. New Members forum is for telling us about yourself. Please read stickys.

I havent fixed the problem as of yet. I took a look at the MAF but it didn't look dirty, but I tried cleaning it anyway. I want to say it helped out a little bit but maybe not. The problem is still there, hasn't gotten worse or anything. Could it be anything else besides the MAF?

Don't steam clean your engine, it is unlikely that any of the claimed benefits of that will solve your problem. The problems you are describing are caused by an improper fuel/air mixture. See that was easy, unfortunately now it gets complicated. The causes of that could be anything from a bad sensor to a clogged fuel filter. Since you aren't getting any trouble codes I'm going to assume the problem isn't with a sensor. However, I do find it strange that you aren't getting a CEL for the oxygen sensor which is usually what happens with an improper mixture. I would start by pulling out all the spark plugs and examining them closely (if you can post pics I'd be more than happy to tell you what I see). Then you need to do a compression test on all cylinders to verify you have proper compression. After that, assuming compression is good, by looking at the plugs we should have a pretty good idea of where to look for the problem. BTW, how many miles on the truck?

I just replaced the plugs and wires the other week because of this problem. I was hoping it would solve the problem but it didn't. The truck has about 155k miles on it. I'll have more time this weekend to check the compression and I will pull the plugs as well. I'll let you know as soon as I do this. Could there still be a problem with the 02 sensor or MAF sensor even if I am not getting any codes?

yes but that is unlikely, easiest way to be sure is to test the sensors and in the case of the MAF make sure it isn't clogged. You would need to look in a service manual for the sensor specs (the Haynes one has it). however, like i stated before, i doubt you have a sensor problem.

Hey Southpaw did you get anywhere with this ?

No luck yet. Haven't had the time to work on it. It's been a busy past couple of weeks. Ill be checkin it out this weekend and I'll post when I know more. I had a Cylinder 1 misfire code show up on the OBD2 but never brought up the light. Then I checked again this week and I don't have the code anymore, but the problem is still there.

I'd check the fuel delivery system. Put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what the pressure is. It could be a bad pressure regulator, fouled fuel filter or a fuel pump that's going bad.

I checked the plugs and wires again today. The wires are fine but spark plug 1 did show that a misfire was happening as the code brought up. I switched it out with another plug and will check to see if I have the same problem in a week or so. I drove it around today to try to show a friend the problem and it wouldnt happen. I thought the problem was gone the other day because it didnt seem to be happening but then went back out and the problem was there, it was hesitating again. Could the problem be the coil?

Back