Horrible smell from vents ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Horrible smell from vents !

explorer21230

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
2008 Explorer XLT 4.0

There is a nasty smell coming from my vents (seems like a chemically smell to me). It’s not an anti-freeze smell. I can smell it all of the time even if the fan is not running, but it is so much worse when I turn the heat on. I have no idea what the smell could be, It doesn’t smell like a dead animal to me either. Has anyone dealt with this or heard of this? If so any ideas what I can do about it? It’s getting cold out and I can turn my heat on without gaging..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no filter on these systems so I would drop the squirrel cage fan out and see if you can find some dead leaves etc. on the heater coils that need to get cleaned out. Since you say that it doesn't smell like antifreeze and it gets worse when the heat is on that is the only thing that I can think of doing.

I was thinking the same thing but I haven't been able to find any info for removing the squirrel cage. Do you know where I could find the procedure for removing it? Is it located under the glove box, is it difficult to get out? Thanks for the info.

Yes, back behind/under the glove box and not very hard to get at and out. Three bolts, remove the power plug and wiring that is in the way and it will drop right out.

I have the same issue with my 2010 XLT. I agree with what explorer21230 describes as the odor. An easy way to make it happen is to have it on A/C blowing cold air then turn the temp to full hot. Its as if the heat is burning off something in the heater/evaporator area like maybe some mildew. I have removed the blower motor/squirrel cage to find all is clean and couldn't see anything looking in toward the heater box. I have also verified that my evaporator drain tube is not clogged. Is there a way to remove the heater box without removing the dash? Thought maybe I could try cleaning it out as I've already tried spraying Febreze and a bleach/water mixture into the air intake.

Sorry it took awhile to reply. It turns out that the smell was coming from the AC evaporator core that was leaking. I had the refrigerant evacuated from the system and the small has dissipated. Guess I will wait for warmer weather to take a look at repairing my AC. Thanks for the advice.

My condition must be different, A/C works fine, odor is still there for a minute after turning heat on.

Back