Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to change intake on 4.6L V8

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by pet575, July 2, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rocco123

rocco123 Active Member

City, State:
      Endicott, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
      I've even called them on this and their answer was there was a clearance problem at the throttle body. After reviewing many posts on this subject I went ahead and ordered it anyway and assure you I have absolutely no problem with the fit whatsoever. Only thing is if you have the hose on passenger side that is at forward end you leave the dorman cap on the passenger rear side. Before installin. I had to clean up a little surface corrosion on the pass side water port to make sure the seal would not leak. Skimmed a little JB weld over the corrosion too for a.flat surface. Dorman fit fine

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. pet575

pet575 Active Member

City, State:
      Kansas City, MO
      2004 Limited
      DickyDanger, that is probably not oil. It is probably coolant that is leaking slowly and mixing with grit/grime/dirt/whatever to make it dirty in color. I thought mine were leaking oil as well but it turned out to definitely be coolant. Once I did the repair I no longer had the stuff in my spark plug wells that I initially thought was oil.

Trust the experience on this board. It is more than likely coolant.

4. WilliamsRpTx

WilliamsRpTx New Member

City, State:
      Rockport, TX
      2002 Ford Explorer EB
      Edit: Nevremind, I didn't think it through before posting. However, now that it's all back together, I have white smoke (didn't have it before) and it's running the same as when the plug wells would fill with coolant and cause a misfire.

I'm finishing up my manifold replacement on my '02 and am wondering if I need to use the new alternator bracket or if I can use the original. This was not detailed in the included instructions.

Last edited: December 26, 2014
    5. fordysenior

fordysenior Active Member

City, State:
      True Northern California
      2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
      I replaced the manifold with my 2002 Expl with the 4.6 eng about a month ago. I used the Dorman part purchased from O'reillys Auto Parts. If we are talking about the same manifold part, then use the new alternator bracket, and you will find they supply an extra bracket which I assume is for a different application. Also, with that new bracket, I had to go get a couple of spacers and a couple of longer bolts/screws for attachment as needed. I got those parts at a lumber/hardware store.

Last edited: December 26, 2014
    6. Humunn

Humunn New Member

City, State:
      Central Oregon
      2004 Ford Explorer EB 4L
      Successfully replaced the intake on an 02 4.6L but have a question on the engine cowl bracket. I'm not exactly sure if it is called an "engine cowl" but it is the large curved cover that covers the throttle body and makes the engine box look cleaner.

The Dorman kit I used had a replacement alternator bracket that I used when putting things back together. I used the new bolts that came with the kit instead of the oem bolt studs. In fact, when putting it back together I didn't even think about the oem bolt studs vs the new bolts.

When trying to install the cowl I discovered that there were no bolt studs to attach the front of the cowl to. Since a couple weeks passed from when I installed the manifold (to insure it was running ok) and when I installed the cowl, I had discarded all the extra and old parts. I just assumed the cowl install was a simple last step.

So, I don't have the front bolt studs any longer and I discovered that even if I still had them they don't line up with the holes in the cowl anyway! And there are no holes in the new brackets where a bolt stud could be installed. I zip tied the front of the cowl for now.

Is there a better more permanent solution?

7. fordysenior

City, State:
      True Northern California
      2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
      I just checked mine, the front studs for the engine cover came attached to the new alternator bracket provided by Dorman. Check yours? Maybe call Dorman, maybe they'll send you a proper part if there is a problem.?

8. Humunn

Humunn New Member

City, State:
      Central Oregon
      2004 Ford Explorer EB 4L
      Good suggestion. Thanks, I'll do that. The bolt holes are not even close to being aligned.

9. leathersk

leathersk New Member

City, State:
      tennessee
      03 ford explorer eddie ba
      intake manifold

Why in the world would they make the intake manifold plastic and can u change it over to an aluminum one? Mines a 03 explorer eddie bauer with v8

10. fordysenior

City, State:
      True Northern California
      2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
      Also, fyi, to anyone using the Dorman part -- if yours came with a rubber stop and spring hoseclamp in the back passenger side of the manifold, replace that hoseclamp to a worm type. Getting on the freeway one day, I floored it due to some semi trucks. The water pressure shot off that rubber stop, coolant went everywhere, and I was stuck on the freeway.

11. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Woodstock, GA
      04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
      What does the plastic part under the intake do? Mine has a crack in the front, maybe more that I don't see. As the OP's pix showed, the underside piece falls apart. Will it create a vacuum leak?

Mines not leaking any antifreeze, but at times, the PCM is having to add fuel. Just found this when replacing the alternator, again.

Attached Files:

12. fordysenior

City, State:
      True Northern California
      2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
      When I replaced my intake manifold, a big plastic shield that surrounds the bottom of the old manifold came off -- in easy to break off pieces. I couldn't figure out what it was or where to buy a new one, so I called Dorman since I was using their new part. They said it is a noise reducer/insulator. He also said to throw it away. It won't hurt a thing.

13. Number4

City, State:
      Woodstock, GA
      04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
      Thanks! That's what I'd read in the 4.0 post, but wanted to verify. I touched the lip on mine and it just fell off. Was kind of hoping it had something to do with my positive fuel trim, oh well.

14. starphoto

starphoto New Member

City, State:
      Arrowbear, CA
      2005 explorer
      05 Explorer 4.6L manfold

Thanks for all the pics and replies to this job. I have a dealer with my local dealer, (shop foreman) that I pay roughly 50-60% of Dealer price. $1500 my dealer quoted. So the $1400. that's mentioned above is right depending where you're located in the country. I'm having my shop foreman contact run the job with the discounted cash price. No Receipts Produced. All Cash.

I now know what to ask and what the job entails and might consider doing it, but weather is not the best at the moment. Mountain living with strong winds and other weather and no garage yet. :)

15. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Active Member

City, State:
      Orlando
      2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
      I'm in the process of replacing my intake manifold using the Dorman product. I took off the factory original and also noted the noise reducer/insulator is falling apart. Per your comment I will throw it away but I'm curious to know if anyone has noticed the engine being louder or hearing new "unwelcomed sounds" since the noise insulator is no longer in place.

Last edited: November 16, 2016
    16. rocco123

rocco123 Active Member

City, State:
      Endicott, NY
      1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
      Syber, I will say if u replace the intake with the Dorman and have the port capped on passenger side rear, cap it with something other than the rubber cap that comes with intake. Mine recently rotted the rubber cap and it leaked after a few years. I had a spare cap from autozone but it was the exact same type rubbber cap so I did permanent replacement with 3/4 inch heater hose and plugged end of hose with a short steel pipe (nipple) and a pipe cap. That rubber cap won't take the heat and degrades.

17. fordysenior

City, State:
      True Northern California
      2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
      I have not noticed any noise problems or weirdness from it. The biggest weirdness was when I touched that plastic thing and it broke off some pieces -- then I wondered 'oh no, what did I do now'. Glad it's gone.

18. ROBinGa

ROBinGa Active Member

City, State:
      Ga
      2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
      I changed my 2003 XLT 4.6 manifold yesterday. I ordered a Ford manifold from an eBay Ford parts dealer and it was $308 delivered. I bought FelPro gasket kit which also includes thermostat oring. The job went well using lots of guidance from this thread and others on this site. It looks very intimidating but you can do it with very few tools and basic mechanical knowledge. I also changed the spark plugs, put on new belt and put new bottom orings on injectors. Here's a couple observations and tips:
      • Use silicone spray on all the vacuum and rubber hoses to help with removal and let soak for a few seconds before
      • No need to remove cables and brackets from throttle body. Just remove connectors, vacuum tubes, EGR bolts and after unbolting lift it up to set on windshield cowl and support with bungee. Very easy this way
      • There are two places on back of manifold where a wiring loom is attached and it makes getting fuel rail line that goes to other bank hard to get off and eventually the manifold itself hard to get off. You need to be mindful of how it's connected to rear of manifold and find best way to get that loose. Mine was brute force and breaking the plastic connector which probably wasn't right but what happened.
      • When you start it first time it may run very very rough depending on how much cleaner and solvent you use to get intake mounting surface super clean. I used 3 cans of carb cleaner and my engine ran so bad at first I thought I screwed something up big time. It smoothed out eventually and runs great now.
      • The fluid in my plug wells was definitely coolant mixed with grime. All wells on driver side had it, none on passenger. The internal gasket in the manifold coolant channel where thermo housing seats to head had warped and was allowing coolant to seep between manifold and the head surface and it runs along surface and deposits in spark plug wells. New manifold and new gasket set should solve my problem for another 130,000 miles

19. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Active Member

City, State:
      Orlando
      2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
      I added several installation tips specific to the 2002 4.6L right HERE using the Dorman aftermarket part since this thread is generally concerning the 4.6L and some people have questions about the 2003-2005 models which may not apply to the 2002.

20. edcantu9

edcantu9 New Member

Where you able to find an answer to this? Did it fit your mountaineer?

21. Number4

City, State:
      Woodstock, GA
      04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
      Dorman makes a model for the ‘03-‘05 now.
      615-775
      Vs. the ‘02 615-175.

The difference is in the size of a screw in nipple fitting.

22. edcantu9

edcantu9 New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Amazon does not have the 775 in stock, and it is about $60 more expensive than the 175 (which is in stock).

Did the 175 work for your 03 Mountaineer?

23. Number4

City, State:
      Woodstock, GA
      04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
      I purchased the 775 from Rock Auto. I watched the price go up and down over month before buying it.

24. edcantu9

edcantu9 New Member

I replaced the intake manifold. Now I have a leak in the back passenger side of the manifold. I clean the area good. No leaks elsewhere

torqued manifold in two stages as directed.

did pressure test , i can see the coolant leaking out that corner.

I have an 03 mountainneer. any advice? used dorman 615-775.

25. Number4

City, State:
      Woodstock, GA
      04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
      Did you seal the little holes in the heads? Where the old gaskets tabs went?

26. edcantu9

edcantu9 New Member

Hi thanks for taking the time to give me some advice, was that part of the instructions? There was a sheet that came with it, but maybe it was not made clear to me.

I know the holes you are talking about, they are on the aluminum surface. Should I have stuck some RTV in those holes?

EDIT: I see the sentence that states to fill in with RTV. It says that sometimes the original OEM gasket alignment holes in the head were placed in a position near or under the dorman gasket centerline to fill it in.

I read it before hand but didnt quite understand what it meant. How is a person to be certain that these alignment holes are not near the dorrman gaskets?

Last edited: March 4, 2018