Howling noise while driving-advise on spot check | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Howling noise while driving-advise on spot check

Beef jerky

Reaction score
City, State
West Bend
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer SportTrac 4.0
Hello all,

Question regarding '08 Sport Trac.

Vehicle is 180,000 miles old (new block at 144k). Getting to the point now where parts are going out on me.
I had the trailing arm, front upper and lower links replaced.
Hub assembly drivers side, brakes and rotors I did. Mechanic stated hub needing replacement. I knew of it and did it on my own.

I still have a howling. maybe I just notice it now moreso that I replaced the hub assembly. I can't fully pinpoint it. Turning left/right doesn't quiet it.

Seems it's coming from the center below. Maybe driveshaft? Or something of the same area? Now sure if rear assembly noise can travel toward the front.
Cold mornings it's loud. Warmer daytime it wasn't so bad. Now, the last two days it doesn't change through temperature.

I've tried to find help through searches but you seem to find everything else but the help your specifically needing.

I can usually change out most things but finding the problems are the hardest.

Any help you be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Chad

Beef, I see your post is a few months old. Did you ever figure this out?
Sounds like carrier bearing on the driveshaft. If it's 4WD, the bearing is not serviceable, and you have to replace the entire driveshaft...yay FORD!!
2WD may be serviceable. Do a search on the forum for carrier bearing and see if it helps.

Matt

Beef, I see your post is a few months old. Did you ever figure this out?
Sounds like carrier bearing on the driveshaft. If it's 4WD, the bearing is not serviceable, and you have to replace the entire driveshaft...yay FORD!!
2WD may be serviceable. Do a search on the forum for carrier bearing and see if it helps.

Matt
Confirm: 2wd is serviceable.

If it's not your wheel bearings ( I have replaced mine 3 times) look at the driveshaft carrier bearing as suggested above. I have about 115k miles on our 2008 limited 2 wd drive and replaced ours at 110k miles.

Back