I need new U-Joints...Greaseable or Non-Greaseable..Where to buy?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need new U-Joints...Greaseable or Non-Greaseable..Where to buy??

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have had a clunking noise when putting in D or R for some time, so I think I need new u-joints.

#1 Is this is something I can do? Semi-talented weekend warrior...

#2 if I should use Greaseable or Non-greaseable U-Joints. Which is better/stronger.

#3 Where shal I buy these when I figure out which one I need

#4 What Grease should I get?

I know lots of people here have done this so PLEASE tell me your opinions and help me with these questions.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tested for play in the U-joints? You may not even need any. Before I put my locker in I had "the clunk", and I came to find out it was because my factory limited slip had worn out. The rebuild kit is about 60 bucks and will greatly improve your traction.

From what I can tell I didn't have the stock LS. There is nothing telling me that as far as axle codes...I think 99% sure that I have the Open Diff.

Yea I checked the driveshaft and there really isn't any play, but I have all the symptoms of the U-Joints going.

Clanking when putting it in gear..
Pop when I let off the accellerator...
Park on hill=Clank

Fischer,
I have the same symptons as you. I also do not have the ls. I have checked for play and there isn't much at all, if any.

Well I have been calling around and to no avail. I find it hard to believe that nobody has any suggestions for the U-Joints.

Non Greaseable vs. Greaseable and where to find them. It's not like I am totally helpless, I have been looking; I just can't find SQUAT!

carquest, buddy... definately go with greasable, you wont regret it in the long run. It's about an extra 10 minutes to spend when your changing your oil but the time you save will more then make up for it.

greaseable, but the clunk could be so many things, you might want to take it in and have a shop tell you what the clunk is. Is there play in the U-Joints? Do you have a vibration?

Okay,
Called on Matt Adams on this one as I knew he did his on his past Ex.

CarQuest has them and they are greaseable. Only a little less than $14 ea. I am making the trip there after work. Woohoo!!

Thanks Matt, you ROCK ASS!

Originally posted by Fischer
Thanks Matt, you ROCK ASS!

...not so sure I like that saying...

Originally posted by mattadams

...not so sure I like that saying...

Sounds like a prison ***** saying to me!

LOL thats kinda what I was thinking!

Sounds like a prison ***** saying to me!

What dude?! No way! I think that would be more like the connentation of saying he does something to someones actual arse. LMAO!!

Matt, No offence I did not mean it to be taken out of (Ass Rocking) context. LOL

It is an 80's real cool, revisited, saying that I am coining. It is already big in London and the rest of the great state of Colorado...haha

Ever heard of "Apples" in reference to bobbing for apples...well you get the idea. I coined that phrase years ago. LMFAO!!!

You guys are brutal!

LOL and Matt, I just noticed that you have that little guy showing his arse!!! HA!HA! I have tears in my eyes!

Maybe under Assist Editor it can say "Rocks Ass Hard":D

Travis, I got the little mooning dude (in fact got an emoticon named after me, mattmoon!) after mooning several members... well... several times... LOL

Funny, funny... I can't compete..

Back