Is there a fuse for cruise control? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a fuse for cruise control?

bcgreen

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 V-8
I have a 96 Explorer with a V8 and the cruise control doesn't work anymore, not even the light on the dash, and was wondering if there is a fuse for this function, as that would seem to be the simplest solution?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your vacuum connection. On my 93' it is located where the arm on the brake petal pushes on a plunger to close the vacuum connection. When you push the brake petal down it opens the vacuum line and turns off the cruise control. look around in that area. I just plugged my line because the brake petal kept pushing the plunger away so the cruise control always thought I had the brake pressed.
Cruise control works electronically and it has a back up system that is the vacuum if both aren't working then the cruise control won't work.
hope it works for you.

yup there's a fuse check your manual for which one it is exactly. I have a v6 so it's probably not the same.

there's a relay too I believe once again check the manual

dynamite196 said:
yup there's a fuse check your manual for which one it is exactly. I have a v6 so it's probably not the same.
I have a manual, but I can't located it and would you think that the same fuse might have knocked out the temp/compass display?

dogfriend said:
Also check the Speed Control Deactivation Switch located on the end of the brake master cylinder. If it is leaking brake fluid, that may be your problem.

Check these threads:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164795&highlight=cruise+control

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163990&page=1&pp=20&highlight=cruise+control
I check the Switch first thing and didn't notice any leaks, I reseated the plug just incase to see if it was something that simple, but no change.
I don't know if it makes any difference but its red in colour.

I doubt those two are connected but anything's possible. There should be a diagram listing all the names of the fuses and what they're for towards the back of the manual.

bcgreen said:
I check the Switch first thing and didn't notice any leaks, I reseated the plug just incase to see if it was something that simple, but no change.
I don't know if it makes any difference but its red in colour.

The red switch is the one that has been recalled on 98 Explorers and oher Ford vehicles because of the problem with leaking. They did not recall it on my 97 Explorer, but when it went bad the cruise control would not activate and the light in the dash would not turn on.

You could test it with an ohmmeter - it should normally be open (infinite resistance between the terminals on the switch). If it is closed (no resistance) when you aren't slamming on the brakes, then it is bad.

Hmmmmm.... have you check your switches on your steering???? If the switches don't work, the light ain't going to work and of course neither will the speed control. Of course, the other aforementioned checks of relays / switches are also useful but the place to start is at your switches.

dogfriend said:
The red switch is the one that has been recalled on 98 Explorers and oher Ford vehicles because of the problem with leaking. They did not recall it on my 97 Explorer, but when it went bad the cruise control would not activate and the light in the dash would not turn on.

You could test it with an ohmmeter - it should normally be open (infinite resistance between the terminals on the switch). If it is closed (no resistance) when you aren't slamming on the brakes, then it is bad.
Was yours leaking?

bcgreen said:
Was yours leaking?

Yes it was. There is a diaphragm inside the switch that eventually cracks, then the fluid comes into contact with the switch contacts. Eventually this will short the switch out due to corrosion between the contacts.

BTW, there is a diagnostic test for the steering wheel switch. I posted it in another thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164279&highlight=cruise+control

I ran the diagnostic test when my CC wouldn't work. The On/Off switches worked but the Resume Set Coast side didn't work, leading me to the conclusion that the steering wheel switch was bad. But replacing the switch did not fix the problem. Then I found out about the SCDS on the master cylinder. Replacing it fixed the problem.

dogfriend said:
Yes it was. There is a diaphragm inside the switch that eventually cracks, then the fluid comes into contact with the switch contacts. Eventually this will short the switch out due to corrosion between the contacts.

BTW, there is a diagnostic test for the steering wheel switch. I posted it in another thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164279&highlight=cruise+control

I ran the diagnostic test when my CC wouldn't work. The On/Off switches worked but the Resume Set Coast side didn't work, leading me to the conclusion that the steering wheel switch was bad. But replacing the switch did not fix the problem. Then I found out about the SCDS on the master cylinder. Replacing it fixed the problem.
Thanks for the dx test. My switch is not leaking so I am pretty sure its not the culprit, I'm never that lucky. Will do the test this weekend and report back

dynamite196 said:
there's a relay too I believe once again check the manual
I have shop manuals for the car and I had been looking in there for a couple of hours one day and just gave up. The shop manuals stink, not like the Chrysler manuals I had, where things could be looked up quickly. The owners manual is not where I looked initially, but I did this morning and sure enough, its listed there. But I notice that the fuse also regulates the brake lights and those work so I think that rules out the fuse as the culprit. I will look again at the owners manual about the relay but I have feeling thats not an item Ford wants the average joe to find and replace, and so it might not be listed, but I will take a look.

OK, I'll jump in... We can start checking for power along the way. If we need to get into checking switches afterwards, we can do that too. Lets start with the simple stuff though. A DMM is the best tool, and a 12V test light and a jumper with alligator clips will work in a pinch.

Start with Fuse #13 (15A), and fuse # 10 (7.5A). Check for power on both contacts of the fuse when it's lugged in and the key is on.

At the brake on-off switch on the brake pedal, check for power at the LG/R wire, and power at the LG wire only with the pedal depressed.

Check for power at the speed control servo harness on teh LG wire with the brake depressed. If there is power on the LG wire without pressing the brakes, the BOO switch is bad. (However, your brake lights would have been on the whole time too, so it's unlikely that's the problem.)

Now, at the brake pressure switch, check for 12V with the key in run on the GY/Y wire. With the connector plugged in, there should be no power to the BK/Y wire. If there is, teh SCDS is bad and sending the signal to the servo that the brakes are being pressed when they're not. To verify that's the problem, you can jumper the connector with a paper clip temporarily.

From here, it gets a bit tricky. Start with that, report back, and we'll go from there. :)

gijoecam said:
OK, I'll jump in... We can start checking for power along the way. If we need to get into checking switches afterwards, we can do that too. Lets start with the simple stuff though. A DMM is the best tool, and a 12V test light and a jumper with alligator clips will work in a pinch.

Start with Fuse #13 (15A), and fuse # 10 (7.5A). Check for power on both contacts of the fuse when it's lugged in and the key is on.

At the brake on-off switch on the brake pedal, check for power at the LG/R wire, and power at the LG wire only with the pedal depressed.

Check for power at the speed control servo harness on teh LG wire with the brake depressed. If there is power on the LG wire without pressing the brakes, the BOO switch is bad. (However, your brake lights would have been on the whole time too, so it's unlikely that's the problem.)

Okay, here is an update. I went for fuse #10, checked it and it was blown. So I thought, hey this might be easy, so I kept my fingers crossed and put in a new one. It worked, so I drove down to the parts store and everything worked fine. I then put the fuse cover on and the fuse blew. So I got another fuse and put that in to see what might be causing it to blow. First I tried the radio, then the fan and then the ac, everything seemed to be okay again. This morning I start up and still everythings good to go and I drive off to work. On the way to work I hit a bump on the freeway and that blew out the fuse again because the compass/temp went out as well as the cruise control. But I did notice that when I push the set button on the right side of the steering column I could see the cruise control light flash for a split second. I don't think thats significant but I thought I would mention it anyway.
So since just the simple task of placing the fuse cover back on would cause it to blow and also a bump on the freeway, do you think I just have a loose wire going to the fuse box or should I be looking at something else? How about a ground wire, is that located right there by the fuse box?

Now, at the brake pressure switch, check for 12V with the key in run on the GY/Y wire. With the connector plugged in, there should be no power to the BK/Y wire. If there is, teh SCDS is bad and sending the signal to the servo that the brakes are being pressed when they're not. To verify that's the problem, you can jumper the connector with a paper clip temporarily.

From here, it gets a bit tricky. Start with that, report back, and we'll go from there. :)

Okay, here is an update. I went for fuse #10, checked it and it was blown. So I thought, hey this might be easy, so I kept my fingers crossed and put in a new one. It worked, so I drove down to the parts store and everything worked fine. I then put the fuse cover on and the fuse blew. So I got another fuse and put that in to see what might be causing it to blow. First I tried the radio, then the fan and then the ac, everything seemed to be okay again. This morning I start up and still everythings good to go and I drive off to work. On the way to work I hit a bump on the freeway and that blew out the fuse again because the compass/temp went out as well as the cruise control. But I did notice that when I push the set button on the right side of the steering column I could see the cruise control light flash for a split second. I don't think thats significant but I thought I would mention it anyway.
So since just the simple task of placing the fuse cover back on would cause it to blow and also a bump on the freeway, do you think I just have a loose wire going to the fuse box or should I be looking at something else? How about a ground wire, is that located right there by the fuse box?

OK, I don't have the schematics for a 96 in front of me at the moment, so somebody else will have to verify this for me over the weekend, otherwise I can double-check on Monday....

IIRC, #10 is the switched power feed to the speed control servo. Soooo.... Quickest way to isolate it would be to unplug the Speed Control Servo and see if the fuse still blows. That'll tell us if it's the wiring shorting between the fuse box and the servo, or if it's the servo itself shorting out. Pull the connector off, and take it for a drive, and check to see if the fuse still blows.

edit: Just realized that fuse feeds a BUTT-load of other things that could be causing it to blow.
-Turn/Hazard Flasher
-Speed Control Servo
-Compass/Outside Air Temp Module
-Automatic Ride Control Module (if so-equipped)
-Blend Door Actuator
-Heater/AC Control Assembly
-Shift-lock Actuator
-GEM
-Steering Rate Snesor
-Rear Integrated Control Panel
-Message Center (if equipped)
-Lamp Out Warning Module
-Rear blower motor relay

Hard to believe all that stuff is fed off that one 7.5A fuse!! Never realized that.... isolating it to any one component would mean unplugging and isolating as many as you can, taking it for a drive with a new fuse in it, and plugging them back in one at a time until it blows again. :( :( Not fun....

-Now, with that list, I'd start with the easy ones. Speed Control Servo is on the pass side fender (At least for '98... can't say for sure for a 96, but should be readily accessable).
-Unplug the overhead console all together if you can.
-Unplug the message center (that just pulls out)
-Find the rear blower motor relay and pull it out.
-Leaving the heat off may or may not cut the power to the blend door actuator and the heater/AC controls.
-Yank the turn signal/hazard flasher if you can.

That'd be the easy ones. Start there and see where it goes. Plug 'em back in one at a time with a drive in between to see if it blows the fuse again. When it blows, you've probably found your most likely culprit. Plug everything else back in (except for the last thing you did) and see if it'll last. You might get lucky that way.

Let us know what you find!

Unplug the switch going to the brake fluid "stuff". It's your best place to start. It won't affect your other "stuff" and see if the fuse still blows. Your problem is very similar to one described here a while ago and the result was the faulty switch (which was the source of discussion about the recall / fire). In the case mention here previously, the guy was fine but over nite, he would come out and hsi message center was dead, etc. We pointed him to the switch, he unplugged the connector and his blown fuse problem went away. He actually plugged it back in and smoke eventually came out of it ... almost like the "fire incidents" that caused the original recalls.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

budwich said:
Unplug the switch going to the brake fluid "stuff". It's your best place to start. It won't affect your other "stuff" and see if the fuse still blows. Your problem is very similar to one described here a while ago and the result was the faulty switch (which was the source of discussion about the recall / fire). In the case mention here previously, the guy was fine but over nite, he would come out and hsi message center was dead, etc. We pointed him to the switch, he unplugged the connector and his blown fuse problem went away. He actually plugged it back in and smoke eventually came out of it ... almost like the "fire incidents" that caused the original recalls.

The speed control deactivation switch is Fuse #13, and Fuse #13 wasn't blown, therefore it's not the cause of the problem. Fuse #13 is not connected to the blower, or the overhead console, so that cannot be the source of the problem in his case. Fuse 10, however, does continue to blow, and is tied to all the symptoms he mentioned. I'm confident it's not the SCDS in this case.

-Joe

Back