Is this a common problem? Emissions Related. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a common problem? Emissions Related.

mtm

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT
Ok so first, I'm not very seasoned on this forum. I'm usually over on RPS because I drive a '95 splash. My fiance however drives a '99 Explorer. Anyway, I was installing new shocks a month or so ago and when I got to the rear I noticed that the bracket holding the emission canisters was unusually rusty. Recently her Check Engine light kicked on. We went to Autozone and ran the code which turned out to be emission related. Based on the rusted cross member I saw when changing the shocks I figured the canisters were causing the problem. Well I dropped the spare while ago and wow. The cross member that holds the 2 canisters is non existent. Completely rusted away. The remains are sitting inside the spare. Everything else under there looks great and only has minimal surface rust along the edges. Is this a common problem? Turns out one of the canister detached from the other tripping the light. Now, can I buy a new crossmember for the canisters? If not, I'm a machinist by trade so fabbing up a bracket would be no problem. I just didn't know if I could purchase this bracket or not. I'm kind of dumb founded because it's the only thing rusted up other than surface rust on the spare and a little on the frame/other crossmembers. Only thing I can think of is maybe that bracket didn't get any undercoating? Sorry for the long post here are a few sucky cell phone pictures.

PIC-0020.jpg

PIC-0021.jpg

PIC-0022.jpg

PIC-0023.jpg

It does seem to be a semi-common problem. You could try to get one from the junkyard that isn't totaly rotted yet, and put some POR15 and undercoating on it before you install it.

On the other hand, I don't think there is anything special about the OE bracket, that would stop you from just making something. Whatever you prefer would be fine, just get all your hoses reconnected, adn make sure the cannisters are protected/mounted somehow.

Wow, I've never seen a bracket rusted so badly.

Isn't there an electrical connector that attaches
to the purge valve mounted on the bracket?
Maybe it's galvanic corrosion?

No doubt- the rest of hte truck is pretty clean! I have a similar issue- the truck is clean, just some of the components underneath are unusually rusty.

Back