Issues with going into Reverse '00 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues with going into Reverse '00 Explorer

MixSeven

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Grove OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi,

Just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer today actually. When I test drove it I was aware of the problem, and now I would like to fix it.

The rig drives and functions great, but when it comes to putting it in reverse, it acts as if I just put it in park. Doesn't act like it is in neutral or anything, just won't move.
The previous owner said it started slowly not going into reverse shortly after she had the car maintenanced and had all the fluids flushed, including the transmission.

Suggestions? Tips? All are appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are a couple of things you should check.

1. there's a pretty common problem with the 2 torx bolts that hold the shifter to the steering column coming loose. they can even fall out. check to make sure these 2 gold colored bolts are in place and tight.

2. it might be that the shift cable, where it connects to the transmission, may have come loose or isn't adjusted correctly.

3. it might be something inside the transmission.

Awesome!
Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into them. I remember the same thing happening with my expedition and a friend was able to fix it in a parking lot. So, hopefully it is one of the first two. :)

Even had time to edit the reply and add the T30 size. LOL ;)

Back