• Register Today It's free!

No Reverse but feel it engage

saleen302

Reaction score
City, State
Regina, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
1998 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD Automatic with 179'000km's. I bought the truck off a gentleman that is not mechanically inclined, he didn't even know the size of the engine. Got it for 1200 bucks because he said its going to need a transmission because it doesnt back up. Anyhow, i bought it took it home and found that there was a small hole in the tranny cooler line so i fixed that and did a transmission flush and new filter since the transmission was pretty much dry. The Truck drives and shifts FINE and all gears work except my truck wont reverse and neutral will drive forward for a bit untill it will slip and act like how neutral suppost to act. I got engine braking in 1st gear so that goes to tell me that the reverse band is ok. So let me say this once more, when i start my truck with my foot on the brake and put it in reverse i can feel it go into the reverse but its almost like something is locking me from driving backwards, it doesnt budge into reverse, the rpm's just lower a bit to show the gear has engaged. when i put it in neutral the rpm's rise like its out of gear but theres the issue there with the forward thing i mentioned above, and overdrive/drive/second/first all work like how it should. My emergency brakes are not locked also. Can this be a Bad Transmission or Can this be The transfer Case causing a reverse lockup and a all forward gear situation lol? Please help me guys.

Sounds like internal problem, sometimes the clutches get burned up and then they lock togther and dont release therefore causing your reverse problem. This could definitely be an issue since it was run low on fkuid. I believe it is direct or forward clutch that wears.

Sounds like internal problem, sometimes the clutches get burned up and then they lock togther and dont release therefore causing your reverse problem. This could definitely be an issue since it was run low on fkuid. I believe it is direct or forward clutch that wears.

I agree, but double check your fluid level

fluid level is top'd up.

Back