Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Jet engine sound in 1st and 2nd?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by bluevolume, December 15, 2004.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. bluevolume

bluevolume Active Member

City, State:
    Rochester, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 XLT
    2001 XLT SOHC

When accelerating from a stop, my tranny is making a sound kinda like a jet engine. It makes the sound in 1st and 2nd, then immediately stops after that. I can't really describe it any better, like a whooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhh that gets more intense as the speed increases. Like a turbine spinning up.

Is this normal? I need to keep a list on the dash of all the "normal" things that are wrong with my explorer ;)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Chew_12

Chew_12 Working

City, State:
    Chandler, AZ
    '93 XLT
    My explorer does this because my fan is a towing fan, so it moves more air. Has it always done it or did it just start?

4. bluevolume

bluevolume Active Member

City, State:
    Rochester, NY
    2001 XLT
    It has done it for the 6 months that I have had it. Its definately in the transmission -- the noise stops immediately after the second shift.

5. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

Blue,
    See my post (Search -MCTOY) "03 sport Trans getting checked tomorrow" and a couple others...I forget the titles. Sounds like something I experienced.
    MCTOY

We Support Our Troops!