Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build | Page 46 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build

im far enough in this to not turn back, so ill start this thread now.

starting with a truck that hasent been driven in 2 years before i got it. so its really dirty, ticks, needs some help.
im going for a mild top end rebuild. just a nice cleaning and new parts, upgraded performance parts. with a nice coat of paint to finish it up.
update: turned into full rebuild

parts list:
  • 2643 ANCHOR - drivers motor mount (rockauto)
  • 2641 ANCHOR - passenger motor mount (rockauto)
  • SP432 MOTORCRAFT - spark plugs (autozone)
  • WR4062 MOTORCRAFT - plug wire set (rockauto)
  • KS2358 FELPRO - full gasket set (autozone)
  • PR422 DNJ/ROCK ENGINE - pistion ring set (rockauto)
  • m328 MELLING - high flow oil pump (summitracing)
  • 432217 VISTA-PRO - ready rad radiator (summitracing)
  • E71531 DAYCO - upper radiator hose (autozone)
  • B71532 DAYCO - lower radiator hose (autozone)
  • 200-87684 DAYCO - heater-to-thermostat hose (autozone)
  • 200-87715 DAYCO - heater-to-water pump hose (autozone)
  • 58390 A-1 CARDONE - reman waterpump, they sent a 97tm (rockauto)
  • 300-942 DORMAN - water pump pulley (rockauto)
  • 300-004 DORMAN - power steering pulley (autozone)
  • 49237 GOODYEAR - belt tensioner (rockauto)
  • 5968 HAYDEN AUTOMOTIVE - idler pulley (rockauto)
  • 49-410-8 COMP CAMS - camshaft (summitracing)
  • R1092 SEALED POWER - rocker arms (rockauto)
  • VS1630 SEALED POWER - valve springs (rockauto)
  • sev-2027 SI VALVES - exhaust valves (sivalves.com)
  • sev-2028 SI VALVES - intake valves (sivalves.com)
  • UP94172S ULTRAPOWER - timing chain kit (rockauto)
  • 25053 CRANKSHAFT SUPPLY - reman crankshaft with bearings (rockauto)
  • 70mm 94/95 Mustang GT Cobra 19/24lb MAF (ebay)
  • ebay link - 90tm/93tm cylinder heads
  • ebay link - matched set of injectors
  • EF link - modded stock throttle body
  • GM3115200 chevrolet HHR electric fan from EF member
  • FAN-PWN-V3 SPAL fan controller from EF member
  • 1633S-1 JBA - headers and y-pipe used from EF member

later upgrades: 200amp alternator, underdrive/overdrive pulleys. maybe other stuff as i get ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep. i was thinking the o2 would stick out really far down to, but when i put the cat on i noticed had to turn more towards the frame to bolt on, so its nicely tucked away now, wont scrape/snag on stuff easily.
how the hell do i tighten that top bolt??? im sure therell be an exhaust leak until i get it tightend
ill deff let you know if i need to replace them or not.

if it stops raining i could drive to autozone and make an intake. atleast i can pull in the garage some and finish the fan/cab lights.

hey mark, would the ignition wire on the radio work for the fan like you said? or the fuel pump fuse in the distrabution box? pull fuse, shove wire in, replace fuse on top? its the fuse box under the dash right?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

lol! i was wondering what the funky looking wire you sent me was!
thats what the tiny little 7.5A(i think) fuse is for then? i plug that thing in then take the fuse i pulled plus the one for the fan and add them both to that plug? omg! so much easier!
which battery fuse did you use? 20A or 30A?

lol! i was wondering what the funky looking wire you sent me was!
thats what the tiny little 7.5A(i think) fuse is for then? i plug that thing in then take the fuse i pulled plus the one for the fan and add them both to that plug? omg! so much easier!
which battery fuse did you use? 20A or 30A?

Yep! makes it a lot easier. I don't know if the 1st Gens have any mini-fuses, but find one that is on a circuit that is hot when running and plug into that and you are good to go.

20A for the battery fuse.

im not 100% sure, but i *think* the box under the dash is the smaller ones. i know the one in the engine bay uses frickin huge fuses. something like the fuel pump would be good tho?
i still want a switch tho, incase i need to turn it off as jd said. controller----2 wire switch----ignition wire?

ill change the battery fuse then. i put the 30A cause the book said max of 30A.

The first gen uses the blade fuses (atc), but not the mini's (atm)..

And Yes, the radio circuit would be a good place to tap into. IIRC it works when the vehicle is in aux, or run, but not during start..

Course, that means its possible to run the fan when the truck is hot and in the aux position, but I don't see that as being bad.

~Mark

im not 100% sure, but i *think* the box under the dash is the smaller ones. i know the one in the engine bay uses frickin huge fuses. something like the fuel pump would be good tho?
i still want a switch tho, incase i need to turn it off as jd said. controller----2 wire switch----ignition wire?

ill change the battery fuse then. i put the 30A cause the book said max of 30A.

Put the cutoff switch on the circuit with the mini-fuse adapter on it. That will cut power to the controller and shut down the fan when the switch is opened.

yea i got home and saw they use the medium sized fuses. theres nothing in there to tap it into anyway, unless power goes through them even if you arnt using the listed function..

ill prob just go for the radio. this should be interesting trying to get all that in..... :/

not related to the engine, but since i finally have power back to the truck now that its running, i tested the parking lights to wire my cab lights up. if anyone cares, brown wire coming from the 194 bulb. works awesome :D

Iirc, I jusr used a long extension and an impact wrench on that top bold. Its been years though, so i may not be remembering correctly.

~Mark

well i got new bolts with nuts, so i need something on each side, one to hold still other to turn. long extensions sound like a good idea, i dont have enough tho lol
i dont get to use an impact either. my knuckles wish i has one lol

another wiring question :D just so i can get it done while the inside is semi apart.
after tapping the e-fan ignition wire into the radio ignition wire, i have the 2nd gen overhead console added, can i tap that into that wire also or would i be looking at resisitors for that like the ac wire you mentioned?

You're not looking for the ground wire on the temp sensor (if there are 2 wires on there...can't remember). You need to tap into the positive one. Best way to test it is with a multimeter set on the continuity function. Put one lead on the wire and the other touching a chassis ground. If you get continuity, then that's the ground wire...so you want to tap into the other one.

Same thing with the A/C compressor wire. It needs to be the positive one. easy way to check is hit the ac switch with your voltmeter hooked up to one of the wires going to the compressor, the other wire on your voltmeter grounded. If you get a voltage reading, that's the right wire. If not, then you need to tap into the other wire.

Well it's usually says something like "CONT" or similar. Easy way to tell is if you touch the two leads together it will beep or something.

If you don't have that just use DC Volt setting and backprobe each wire going into the harness with the other lead of the voltmeter touching a chassis ground

yea i looked it up on youtube. mine doesnt beep but i got the right wire now. ON and engine running, still get error #2 fan not found or fan speed error. im sick of going out in the cold and rain, so i guess its gonna wait until tomorrow.

edit: and it still doesnt turn on with the ac wire on...

Hmmm. Some things to try/think about:

-Wire up the fan directly to your battery to make sure it works right.

-Check the wires/connections on the harness from the controller to the fan to make sure they are good

-I know when it gets input from the A/C wire it takes 15 seconds before it reacts to the input. When you turn the A/C off it will take 30 seconds before the fan slows down again.

-Make sure the A/C wire that you tap into has +12v going through it when the A/C is powered on.

-Try doing the programming function and see if it clears up the problem.

Back