K & N causing problems, need input.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K & N causing problems, need input....

This may seem silly, but do you know if the previous owner ever had the Cam Tensioner replaced? There is a recall on the 2001 Rangers with the 4.0 SOHC's for that problem. The chain tensioner doesn't enough, well, tension and so it rattles. If its hicupping there, that could be your problem.

I can tell you for a fact, I had a 2001 Ranger with the 4.0 for about 1 1/2 years and it never missed at idle or anything, so its definately not "Normal". As a matter of fact, I was incredibly pleased with the 4.0. I think my 4.0 with the 5-speed auto actually performced better overall then my X does with the 5.0. But, the trans is the weak point there.

Ohh well, rambling now. I would check into the Cam Chain Tensioner, even if its not the problem, it can cause problems later if it fails.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure on that. I just received a call from the service manager. She wants me to bring the car by so they can listen to it again. I will mention about the pulley. Thanks for your input.

Its actually not a pulley. Its a Cam tenioner assemly. The OHC engine has 2 chain pulleys coming off a center pully. Each chain runs up and attaches to the individual cams. What the Cam Tensioner Assembly does is ensure that the Chain is always tight, but the early '01 SOHC engines had a problem, they didn't use a strong enough spring and I have heard of things as bad as complete engine failure due to this failing with higher mileage engines.

Just check if its been done, if not and your under warranty, have it done (its a recall I believe). I can dig up the Ford number needed if they play dumb and pretend they don't know what you're talking about (Something a lot of them have done). Good Luck.

iDLE

It was a Kodak moment....I took my car back to the dealer this AM. The service manager came out and introduced herself to me and said she would be right back. She returned with about 6 different people and intoduced me to each. I started my car an they all put one hand on the engine feeling for vibration. Seems normal they say. I asked them to go ahead and sit inside. They all pile into my car. RPM's up and down they get out and say yup you have a vibration. Well they gave me a loaner car and will continue with the diagnosis. I will keep you informed...........

Dang...that's a very nice dealer. Good luck!!

Idle Problem

Well I picked up my car last night. The dealer removed the trans replaced the torque converter, did some work on the trans, serviced the fluid lines, it still idles with a miss or hic-up. I will be calling the service manager today. I think I will take it to another dealer.

I have a question

Did the fuel trim settings return to normal after removing the K&N? They suggested that you remove the K&N because the fuel trim was not normal. Did that get corrected?

I realize that they are chasing other stuff now and that the original problem is still there, but I'm curious if there was any difference by replacing the K&N.

Hickup on 4.0

I thought I would chime in here. I am new to this sight but I thought I would mention that the 4.0SOHC engine dos have a problem with the O rings that seal the upper intake to the lower intake. When the seals deform due to age and compression they can cause a vacuum leak that is most noticable at idle.
They will also affect fuel trims. I would like to see someone at they dealer address this for you. I hope this helps. The chain tensioner is also a problem, but in my experience I have not seen it cause the idle problem you describe.

Idle Problem

Yes according to the service tech all engine data is at factory settings. To be honest, to me it seems like a dirty fuel injector. The repair work they did made the car smoother while driving, but did not affect idle.

Idle Problem

I will bring that up when I call the service manager in a few minutes. Thanks for your input. I love this site.........

Idle Problem

taking it back on friday for them to look at it again.........

poor idle

So I took my car back to the dealer on Friday for their regeional ford tech to look at my car. The service advisor calls me around 3:00 to tell me that the tech says the way my car idles is normal and that there is no problem with it. He said they compared it to 2 others on their lot, one was like mine and one was worse. I told that just because they had 2 cars that ran bad does not make it normal. Anyway I was very pissed off with them and let him know that I was going to take my car to another dealer and I wanted my $89 diagnosis fee back. Saturday I removed the o2 sensors to see what they looked like, They did not look bad, cleaned them up and reinstalled. I also removed the vacum line from the power assit housing and sprayed 1/2 can of Seafoam Deep Creep, and wow what a difference in the idle. It is now acceptable to me. I will do another cleaning in a few days, not sure what was dirty but it has made a world of difference. Hey can you clean o2 sensors?

Re: poor idle

Originally posted by mhochman
Hey can you clean o2 sensors?

Of course you can. The real question is: Does it do any good to clean the O2 sensors? Probably not. What you really need to do if you suspect one or more are bad is to test them, either with a Scan Tool or using this generic method O2 test I believe that the two ways that they fail are

1) physical damage to the ceramic (they use ZrO which generates a voltage depending on O2 concentration) or the wiring

or 2) contamination of the ceramic element so they do not generate the proper voltage. If they are contaminated, a simple cleaning may not work because the contamination may be absorbed into the ceramic element and therefore not easily cleaned

Also, if you have an OBD II vehicle (1996 or newer) and the O2 sensor(s) are bad, you should get a CEL (check engine light) because the PCM (puter) monitors the performance of the O2 sensor(s)

o2 sensors

I have OBDII interface for my laptop using Digimoto software. I do not have any trouble codes. I do not think the problem is bad enough to throw codes yet. I have question for you. Have you replaced your PCV valve? I know where it is, after I undo the clamp that holds it to the lower hose does it just pull out of that hose and if so do I have to be careful not to pull on the lower hose. Next, what does the ERG, and the DPFE look like, might you have pics?
Thanks for your time.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Also, if you do a search, especially on DPFE, you should find some info. If your DPFE sensor is bad, it will set an EGR code.

RPM's

On another note. I notice this today that when I rev up the motor in park maybe about 3000 rpm's it gets to a point where it kinda sounds like it is going to die then it comes back then it sounds like it is going to die kind of pulses. Any ideas???

Misfiring? or Clogged Fuel Filter?

If you think its misfiring, I would check the ignition wires, plugs and the coil pack resistance. More on the coil pack here

I don't know how likely a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump problem is (your truck is fairly new). If you suspect either one, you should test fuel pressure and fuel flow rate. Check the Haynes manual or see this Chilton fuel system diagnosis

Chokes

I is a 2001 with 42000 miles. It seems to run fine in drive when I get on it. It sounds like it is choking. Almost like to much air or like the IACV is closeing. The IACV is new. According to the dealer when I had it in for the rough idle problem fuel pressure is fine. Filter is also new. TPS new also.

If you think the IAC is the problem, you can unplug it (the truck will still idle, just not as fast as normal) and repeat the test. I don't think the IAC air will have much of an effect at 3k rpm. The opening of the IAC is small compared to the throttle opening at even 1/4 throttle.

Did the dealer do a flow test? Both pressure and flow rate are important. Also, you could do a cylinder balance test (the PCM shuts off one injector at a time and measures RPM drop) to see if there may be an injector problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chokes

The RPM's may be higher, I will check it when I go to lunch. It is strange I run the rpm's up hold it and it chokes then comes back then chokes then comes back.

Back