K & N causing problems, need input.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K & N causing problems, need input....

mhochman

Reaction score
City, State
ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT NBX V6
Ok I have 2001x 4.0 SOHC v6 I purchased about 1 month ago.
It had a slight rough idle, bounced from 550 to 700 or so, not real bad but I could feel it. I replaced plugs, maybe helped a little, replaced IACV, TPS, maybe helped a little. Cleaned MAF. Checked for vac leaks cant find any. Replaced fuel filter. Installed K&N intake kit. So I gave up & took it to the Ford dealer. Here is what they wrote up:

EEC test no codes found. Found fuel trims @ 12-15%
Compensating rich @ Idle & P.T. no vac leaks. Recomend re-install original air box as aftermarket sys( K&N) may result in unpredictable driveability symptoms..

I tried to explan that it had the rough idle before I installed the K&N. He explained that if I was to re-install original air box that they will re-check it again.

Any ideas?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reset your computer by disconnecting the neg terminal from the battery for 15-20 minutes. Re start your rig so it can adjust to the extra airflow.

Reset

I forgot to mention, I have done that after each repair.
Any other thoughts???? The ford guy who seemed to know his stuff said that it may just be the way it will idle. I also ran a few bottles of Seafoam cleaner through the tank.

Take his advice, return it to stock and have it re scanned, unless you don't have the stock pieces anymore.

Re-Install

Thats what I will doing this weekend..........

They will always blame it on aftermarket equipment, although that is rarely the problem.

Have you ever cleaned your K&N filter

Filter

Funny you should mention that. It is only about 2 weeks old, I took it out of the bag and installed it as is. It says ready to use on the bag but I was wondering maybe there is too much oil on it. I may clean it and re-insatll.

Re: Filter

Originally posted by mhochman
Funny you should mention that. It is only about 2 weeks old, I took it out of the bag and installed it as is. It says ready to use on the bag but I was wondering maybe there is too much oil on it. I may clean it and re-insatll.
I was thinking the same thing:) I guess you got nothing to lose by trying it:rolleyes:

love This Place

I must say that forums like this are a perfect example of whats good about the internet. I have learned so much here. Thanks to you all...........

I doubt the K&N had too much oil from the factory, but any thing is possible.
Clean that and your MAS.
Also the TPS mod might smooth things out a bit for you as well.

Filter

Ok so I cleaned and reoiled the filter last night. Cleaned the MAF and reset the computer. BTW I have already done the TPS mod. When I started out for work this AM it seemed much better, but....... about after an hour of driving it seems to have gone stupid. It is like after I reset the computer the car runs fine, then after time must be trying to compensate for a problem and begins to idle a little rough. Well I will put back the stock air box and take it back to the ford dealer. I will let you know what happens.

Idle

I re-insatlled the stock air box today, it still has the idle problem. It is back to the ford dealer to let them try some more. I will keep you guys posted...........

I had a rough idle for about two weeks. Could feel the engine missing every few seconds when sitting at traffic lights. Became so bad that the "check engine" light came on. Turned out to be as simple as a loose wire on a spark plug. Forget which # , (too lazy to go look), but it was the one closest to the firewall, on the right side. Managed to vibrate loose?

i had a problem with my mass air flow sensor after i installed my k&n filter. i think that the oil got on it and when i hit the trail it got dirt or dust on the maf. i took it out and cleaned it with some good ol' canned air a few times and volla! it has been good ever since. I have since started cleaning the maf a day after cleaning the k&n filter. but as lizard says try chaging the plugs and wires and checking gaps on the plugs.

I will check that tonight, I have recently changed out the plugs, it may be that one is not correct.

I have cleaned the MAF sensor does not seem to be the problem. It did have a rough idle before and after the plug change. When I say rough it is not real bad, I'm sure that some people may not even notice it. But it kinda hicups every 10 seconds or so.

did you change the wires too? they can be bad and not look it.

wires

Have not changed wires yet. Cant the ford guys tell if it missing because of bad spark plug wires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rough Idle

So I took my car back to the ford dealer with the stock airbox re-installed. They say the the engine is runnung fine but there is a vibration at around 1000 rpm that they can not locate. The service advisor could not really answer my questions so he put the Tech on the phone. He tells me that what I feel as a mis or hic-up in the idle is being caused by a vibration in the engine and I need to take it to a dealer that has a vibration analyzer. It sure seems like a miss not a vibration, what now......................

Back