Leaking Brake Fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Brake Fluid

aj213121

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac '03 XLT
Hello everyone, I was driving my 2003 sport trac today when i noticed it was getting gradually harder and harder to brake. Checked under the car and noticed brake fluid coming from above my differential. I found the crack in the metal line, but i cannot seem to find a part # or diagram. Would anyone happen to have either of those or know how to fix this line? Thank you

This is not an unusual problem (having the metal brake line rust and leak). You don't say if yours is rusted or just cracked, but the solution is the same. All auto parts stores sell brake line in various lengths with fittings installed. Do the best you can to estimate what length you need and purchase a replacement piece of line which measures as close to what you need as possible (a little to long is better than a little to short). If you have a tubing cutter and a double flaring tool you can cut the line to the exact length needed and re-flare the end. It's easy to bend the brake line into the shape needed with just your hands. I believe you need 3/16 line.

Tip: Dealing with tubing lines it's best to have a set of line wrenches. They keep you from rounding off the fittings. I'm guessing you will need a metric size for this job.

Back