Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...One of my Customers told me they were taking their 2010 Lexus GS350 4dr sedan in for it's 15,000 warranty service...

...I saw them later today and they told me it cost $450 bucks plus tax...:wtf:

..They told me that Lexus did the first couple services for free but now it's in the charge phase so I thought I would post this up to see what others think as if this is normal in todays market..

..This was a scheduled service appointment, nothing special.

The following is whats listed on the bill

..The service they performed is called "MPI World Class Inspection". Note that it also says "Set tire pressure to OEM specifications"

Perform 15,000 mile service_____________$260 (Lab-Mechanical)

Service done

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Rotate tires
Road test vehicle
Replace engine air filter
Replace A/C cabin filter
Replace wiper blade inserts
Add fuel cleaner
Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
Inspect and measure brake pads and rotors
Inspect and test battery

Inspect
axle shaft boots
Ball joints and dust covers
nuts and bolts on chasis and body
brake lines & hoses
engine coolant
exhaust pipes and mountings
front and rear differential oil
rack and pinion assembly
steering linkage & boots

Parts Cost____________________________________$147.01

replaceable element $7.88
gasket $1.70
element sub assembly, AI $42.00
EFI cleaner $8.95
oil conditioner $6.95
w/shld fluid $1.95
parts clean $3.99
rubber wiper blade $9.32
rubber wiper blade $12.20
cabin air filter $52.07

add the following
7 qts syn blend 5W20 $42.00

..So that totals up to about $450 plus $15 tax..:scratch:

..Their question to me was, "Can this be done cheaper elsewhere and would it affect their vehicle warranty?"

..That is the question I propose to you all..Will any other service of this vehicle void it's warranty or are they stuck payong an arm and a leg for this..

..I buy used and do all my work so I guess I am totally out of touch and these new warranty/service agreements..:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Can this be done cheaper elsewhere and would it affect their vehicle warranty?"
Of course it can be done cheaper elsewhere, and it shouldn't affect vehicle warranty. Check out http://www.murraymotive.com/home/magnuson-moss-warranty-act/. I really don't know much about the act except to say that I interpret that dealers can't force a consumer to buy products from them, but more specifically deny warranty claims, simply because the service was performed elsewhere. Usually this comes up with oil changes, because what happens if my engine develops a problem and I did my own oil changes? Save the receipts because the oil and filter used should be listed. I feel that Lexus owner got hosed when you calculate the labor charges for the services he had performed. Hope this helps.

..It all helps...Thanks..:biggthump

Yes it can be done cheaper at any business that will sign the owner's maintance manual stating that the service was done according to the factory service manual.

..Thanks Mike...

..I take it you can't just keep receipts and such from normal places that do oil service since they would not carry the complete service manuals then..:(

..In short, you would still be stuck with the dealer or a factory authorized service center only..

..Thanks Mike...
..I take it you can't just keep receipts and such from normal places that do oil service since they would not carry the complete service manuals then..

..In short, you would still be stuck with the dealer or a factory authorized service center only..
Your Welcome, and I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the last two state-ments. Because of the government act that I provided a link to, customers can't be misled into thinking that because a vehicle is a certain brand that only a dealership of that umbrella can service it. More than likely a vehicle owner is never going to have a problem that needs disputed. How many people do you directly know that have had sludge in their engine, for instance? I know not a single person, and even mechanics debate on whether or not sludge can exist in a properly maintained car. So, the Audi/VW sludge issues around 7 years ago still may not have been VW's fault according to some mechanics that have only seen sludge in very poorly maintained vehicles. I used to lease a Ranger before I bought my current 08'. I used to go to x.. every 3,000 or 3,500 miles, and the shop stamped the owner's manual that the oil change was done and then initialed or checked the relevant info, such as air filter replaced, tire pressure checked, etc. Some people go to Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, etc. buy 5 quarts and a filter and write on the receipt, the mileage and oil info, like brand (if it isn't listed accordingly on the receipt). They, then file the info. in a folder, but I'm sure over time that the paperwork adds up, and with multiple vehicles is a hassle. Others, scan the info. into their computer or use an Excel spreadsheet. It doesn't matter how you keep the receipts and info. but that you keep it. Some owners only go to the dealer because they get warranty work and TSB's done/checked at the same time, and the dealer keeps a log of mileage, date, etc. on their computer. But, so does where I go, which happens to mostly be Valvoline Instant Oil Change. I even signed up online for the 300,000 mile engine guarantee, and every time I get an oil change it is automatically logged into my account. If Ford every questions, why I only had the dealer do one oil change in 62,000 miles then I can say, "I can get a print-out of every oil change I had done". Also, the receipt indicates suggested services, such as transmission flush, air filter check, etc. that I either do myself or have the dealer perform. I personally think that people get too paranoid about certain things. Yes, it is important to have a receipt for work done as evidence, but how many times does one actual need it? Next, why would anyone visit a non-authorized center? Reputable shops are ASE or AAA certified and should know how to repair vehicles. Also, shops have CD software that is licensed to them that walks them through different operations. Even Ford or Lexus technicians can't possibly know every single fix for every single car combination, but a legitimate shop, such as Firestone, Goodyear, etc., etc. should be able to fix a variety of vehicles. Specialty cars are a whole different story, so owner's of Ferrari's, Lamborginis, or some rare combo., such as my cousin's 90's Merkur XRT4i, are an entirely different scenario. I would imagine that Lexus', BMW's, Mercedes, and others are the same way, but there is a saying that if you can afford the car, then you can afford the insurance, the maintenance, etc. Don't you think the dealer knows that, too? My Ranger 15,000 mile service, I could have performed easily under $100 at the dealer -- oil change, tire rotation, 36 point inspection, + tax, + air filter (if needed) + wiper(s) all included.

With my Paseo, I used to get the printout of the suggested xx,000 mile services. Then I would ask them to take off things like change spark plug, change air filter, check tires, all the other easily done stuff, and then I would have them total it up and print it out. Then I would go do all the easy stuff, and have them do the rest.

One time, I did almost everything, but I could not check the timing (it's been a long time ago, but I think that was it). I went to the dealer about ½ hour before closing to see how much it was for them to check the timing. The Service Adviser asked me if I had ten minutes, and they could check it right then. In and out, and the Service Adviser said, "no charge." :eek: :thumbsup: :D

..I am liking the ideas and suggestions..:biggthump

..I forgot to include that this particular vehicle is on a 4 year lease..:scratch:..I wouldn't think that would change anything though..

That looks like the 30K service as spelled out in owners maintenance manual (not the 15K service).

Back