Lifting the Vehicle from the Body? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting the Vehicle from the Body?

Tshark299

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I took the Explorer in for its annual state safety/emissions inspection that requires removing a front wheel to check the condition of the front brakes. The technician came in from the service bay to tell me he didn't think they'd be able to complete the inspection because my "pinch welds are too rusty to be lifted by the jack", referring to the rotted rocker panels all northeastern Explorers get after a certain age, and that they wouldn't be able to get the wheel off without damaging the vehicle.

I was surprised to hear this because I've taken the vehicle to this same nearby oil change place for years in the same rusty condition and never had someone say that to me before. I told him I probably wouldn't want to lift a body-on-frame truck by the body even if it were rust-free, and that the correct lift point for that type of vehicle would be the frame rail or axle housing. He replied "yeah, but we can't lift the vehicle, because your pinch welds are gone! The safe and proper way to lift is at the pinch welds!". He was very worked up about not being able to utilize these pinch welds for lifting. In the end they did get the corner up in the air to remove the wheel, I assume by putting the jack under the frame like I suggested, and the inspection was completed without a problem.

But what's the deal? I've always lifted trucks by the frame or axle depending on what I needed to work on. I didn't even think the lip under the rocker panel would be strong enough to lift one of these vehicles since that area isn't structural in the way it would be on a unibody car/SUV (to my knowledge at least). Assuming the metal in the rocker area is sound, could these Explorers safely be lifted and supported by that part of the body? Mainly trying to see if I was off-base with my line of thinking here.

I wouldn't worry about it. The guy didn't know what he was talking about and was used to common unibody vehicles. When you called him out, he doubled down instead of admitting error (seems to be the in thing nowadays).

I'd never lift my Explorer by the body. That is just asking for damage.

Ok, I was thinking about how the 2 guys there that day were pretty young, and probably aren't used to seeing these "old-fashioned" SUVs much these days haha. Thanks for the confirmation.

Back