• Register Today It's free!

lights and light bar

medicb142

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hey guys, i have a 98 4d xlt and im going to use my cross bar as a light bar and i was wondering because they sit farther back then most cross bars is 4 lights still going to throw out a good amount of light?

Second, im going to put 2 more lights inside my grill, does anyone have a link to how to bolt them in/install them?? for example a write up, blueprint??

thanks again guys

Depending on the type, style, and wattage used.

The lights will work just fine on the stock crossbar location, however, the stock luggage rack crossbar will have play to them and the lights might bounce and give a shaky light source. Replacing the stock crossbar with a steel tube will be a far better stable mount. There is a sticky in the lighting section on how to make one for dirt cheap.

The grill mount is a good one, and works real nice if you have a high watt 100w or higher fixture. The grill will diffuse some of the light, so lower watt lights suffer in output in this location. The same is true here for stability as well. The plastic that you mount to, will also result in a shaky light source. Adding a flat metal stock bar across the plastic to mount the lights on, will add some stability.

I have a 95 4dr 4wd, i used the top roof rack to mount lights on, i used 4 6 inch grote 650 thousand candle power lights, they draw 12 amps a light and had to upgrade the altenator to a 200 amp to reassure my power usage, when i go offroading, i can light up a little over a mile. They work great and i prefere them being further back as you dont get the glare off the hood to your windshield like the front mount light bars.

Back