• Register Today It's free!

Little Help

hsb

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
Have an 04 Eddie Bauer 4.0 with 130K miles on it. Seems like my PAS system has failed, I know its not either of the keys. Will have it towed to a dealer tomorrow. Anyone know what the $$ will be to fix whatever the issue maybe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean it failed? It wont recognize your keys?

I would stay away from the dealership, they will charge an arm and a leg..

The only thing that will happen when the ignition is turned is that the dash lights up the way it normally would. There is no engine turnover, no clicking of a dead battery, nothing. Talked to the mech at the garage it is at now and he is convinced that the PAS or part has gone down and that its pretty much proprietory to the dealerships. Also the red light on the dash is now flashing quicker than it ever had. Mechanic tested voltage to PAS and was good, from PAS to starter nothing.

(BTW its PATS) :p:

(Ive heard/read) Any locksmith type shop should be able to work on them. :dunno:

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Oops, thought the manual was calling it a PAS, if I missed a letter, my apology. The mech I was talking to today said the system would have to be scanned by a Ford dealership. I would have been happy to have the shop work on it where it was but they dont nor do they know anyone who has the proper scanner and he suggested taking it to the dealer.

Hmmm...well sorry to hear than then! I know a few local shops that I have saved in my phone to program my new key when I get one made so I was under the assumption locksmiths (At least some) would be able to work with a PATS system.

Its not programmig the keys thats the issue its scanning actual vehicle to diagnose which part chit the bed. Neither of the keys will work in the ignition, have tried both.

Is there a way of bypassing the PATS?

Well it appears it was two blown fuses. The dealer called me this am, said it was the blown fuses that caused the issue, no idea why they blew but should be good to go. $150 and an hour later, its getting towed back to the dealer, same thing happened again. They just put a bandaid on it instead of tracing the prob. of the fuse blowing.

Final update, had some tranny work done a few months back and apparently the shop that did the tranny work rerouted the wires to the O2 sensors which resulted in a wire being chaffed through in 3 places.

Back