Deciding between '03 and '04 Explorer Sport Tracs. '03 is $8.3k, '04 is $10k | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deciding between '03 and '04 Explorer Sport Tracs. '03 is $8.3k, '04 is $10k

Toleroh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Ranger
Hi all,

I drive a Ford Ranger:rangergreen: but am replacing it with a Sport Trac Explorer as soon as I find the right one.

Tonight I drove a like-new Red '04 with ~130k miles. Everything seemed great.

Then I drove a very nice Blue '03 with ~130k miles (yes, same). Everything was great with it as well.

The guy wants $10,000 for the '04 and the couple with the '03 only wants $8,300 and I think they'd drop further.

What are the differences & issues I should be aware of? What would you choose?

The '04 had a fancier looking engine with SOHC 4.0 on the top, reminded me of my wife's Honda Odyssey. Guy said it was a special 4.1 liter or something bonus for some reason.

The '03 was a 4.0 also (maybe they all are?) but engine looked totally different. Had no markings at all that I could see. The wire that the gas pedal pulls was positioned on top of it.

Both had a hard plasticy clicking sound when the hood was open and engine was running like something was switching on and off. The '04 did it a few times in a few minutes while the '03 just did it twice. I don't know if it was a fan or compressor or what.

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a lot of dough for one of those. I ran across 2 for less than 5 thou while looking for my 04 exp.

I think in my area it fits the demographic perfectly and they are very popular.

Don't buy the '04. He's lying about the engine. There's no telling what else he might be lying about.

I had the '03 checked out at a local shop and everything is tight. Ball joints are in great shape. Only recommendations were fluid flushes and a serpentine belt service. I'll join the explorer club as soon as I can get all the paperwork and people to the credit union.

Seems like a lot for an '03 Explorer with 130k. I paid $5900 for an '05 Aviator. Deals are out there is you look and are patient.

Back