• Register Today It's free!

Lower control arm removal

casey_wa

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 eddie bauer
Needing to slide power steering rack through passenger side frame for removal. The lower control arm attachment at the chassis is preventing the rack from sliding far enough to remove. Would like to disconnect the lower control arm but note that there is pressure from the torsion bar. The front of the vehicle is being supported with jack stands at the driver lower control arm, passenger side of front crossmember and both sides of the frame just rearward of the front wheels.

The front wheels are off the vehicle and the passenger lower control are is hanging down unsupported. Like advice about disconnecting this lower control arm.

Thanks
Casey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Arm, Lower, Explorer
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED

³ Description ³ Tool Number ³

³ Pitman Arm Puller ³ T64P-3590-F ³

³ Torsion Bar Tool ³ T95T-5310-A ³

Note:
Any time a front suspension lower arm is removed, the vehicle ride height must be checked. Refer to «Section 04-00».

Removal

1. Place the steering wheel and steering system in the on-center position.
2. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Remove wheel and tire assembly. Refer to «Section 04-04».

3. Disconnect stabilizer bar link bolt from front suspension lower arm (3078).

4. Remove the two nuts attaching front shock absorber to the front suspension lower arm assembly.

5. Note: After removing the front shock absorber, support the front suspension arm bushing joint (3085) and front wheel hub and spindle (3K206) to prevent damage.

Remove the upper nut and washer retaining the front shock absorber. Remove the front shock absorber.

6. Support the vehicle with safety stands under the jacking pads and lower the hoist, but maintain working room.

7. Remove torsion bar.

8. Loosen the two front suspension lower arm (3079) pivot bolts.

9. Remove the cotter pin and loosen. Do not remove nut attaching the front suspension lower arm ball joint (3050) to the front wheel hub and spindle.

10. Using Pitman Arm Puller T64P-3590-F, loosen the front suspension lower arm ball joint. Remove the puller.

11. Supporting front suspension lower arm with a jack, remove the ball joint nut.

12. Raise the front suspension lower arm and disconnect front wheel spindle (3105) from the front suspension lower arm ball joint.
13. Remove the bolts and nuts retaining the front suspension lower arm to the front crossmember (5019). Remove the front suspension lower arm.

14. Replace entire front suspension lower arm assembly-to-service bushings.

i have a 02 mercury mountianeer, is this what i,m looking for for replacing the lower control arm,,? sorry i,m new to this site, thanks jim,, from NJ,

If you are replacing the rack and pinion you do not have to remove the control arm, you are supposed to remove the bushings from the rack and then it will fit through. Makes it easier if you remove the driver's side inner tie rod. Those bushing are a pain to get out but I have done a bunch of racks in these and it will work. I think on 5.0 you are supposed to jack motor up some but it can be done without, just takes alot of patience no matter which motor.

thanks guys for your help, i checked with the ford dealer because i was told there are two differnt types of lower control arms for this year and model, ,, they are either torsion bar, or spring coil,, i have spring coil,,,, thanks for coming to my resue, pictures would be nice,, lol, but het i'm learning, thanks to guys like yourselves,, keep up the good work,,,, JIM from NJ.

I have to replace lower control arm bushings. Just going to install new arm instead. Thanks for posting.

Back