LP & HP d44

rino351

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have searched for a while and have come up with no definite answers, so, what is the difference and more than that, what do these terms mean? I would assume something with the r&p maybe? And also, why would either be better than the other?
Thanks,
Ryhan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LP = low pinion
HP = high pinion

The physical difference lyes in that the pinion, or the thing the driveshaft attaches to, enters on the top of the diff pumpkin on a HP, and enters the lower portion of the pumpkin on a LP.

HPs are more desirable for two reasons. 1) the pinion, and driveshaft, is higher off the ground than a LP, i.e. greater ground clearance. 2) the way the pinion gear drives the ring gear is stronger. This gets complicated, but as long as the vehicle is being driven forward, the r&p of a HP is +/- 30% (just an internet figure) stronger.

ah, I see now.
thanks.
so one could go to a pull yourself place yard and find one that enters on top and be set? (assuming the gears inside check out fine)

ah..............that is where all the problems come in :D

If you want a driver's drop axle (like your Explorer), and you want it HP, you basically have one option....................Ford .............fullwidth from a F150 (or Bronco) or a F250. The problem with these axles is that they are WIDE, about 8" wider than a stock Explorer.

well, I tried searching for it, but how would I go about cutting down an axle? I found that you cut it about 6", but not how to do it. Is it as easy as just grinding it off, then welding it back together? I wouldn't think it's that easy.
Thanks, and sorry if I didn't search hard enough.

Any credible shop can shorten axles for you. You will want this done professionally.

Robb forgot one thing. HP is only desirable in the front for the gear mesh. The HP can be used in the rear, however, you are using the back side of the gear mesh so it'll be weaker then a LP.

Back