1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

LP & HP d44

Discussion in 'Offroad Drivelines' started by rino351, December 7, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rino351

rino351 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Golden, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 XLT
      I have searched for a while and have come up with no definite answers, so, what is the difference and more than that, what do these terms mean? I would assume something with the r&p maybe? And also, why would either be better than the other?
      Thanks,
      Ryhan

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

LP = low pinion
      HP = high pinion

The physical difference lyes in that the pinion, or the thing the driveshaft attaches to, enters on the top of the diff pumpkin on a HP, and enters the lower portion of the pumpkin on a LP.

HPs are more desirable for two reasons. 1) the pinion, and driveshaft, is higher off the ground than a LP, i.e. greater ground clearance. 2) the way the pinion gear drives the ring gear is stronger. This gets complicated, but as long as the vehicle is being driven forward, the r&p of a HP is +/- 30% (just an internet figure) stronger.

4. rino351

City, State:
      Golden, CO
      '94 XLT
      ah, I see now.
      thanks.
      so one could go to a pull yourself place yard and find one that enters on top and be set? (assuming the gears inside check out fine)

5. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

ah..............that is where all the problems come in :D

If you want a driver's drop axle (like your Explorer), and you want it HP, you basically have one option....................Ford .............fullwidth from a F150 (or Bronco) or a F250. The problem with these axles is that they are WIDE, about 8" wider than a stock Explorer.

6. rino351

City, State:
      Golden, CO
      '94 XLT
      well, I tried searching for it, but how would I go about cutting down an axle? I found that you cut it about 6", but not how to do it. Is it as easy as just grinding it off, then welding it back together? I wouldn't think it's that easy.
      Thanks, and sorry if I didn't search hard enough.

Last edited: December 8, 2004
    7. NOTAJP

NOTAJP Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mountain Home AFB, ID
      No more Exploder
      Any credible shop can shorten axles for you. You will want this done professionally.

Robb forgot one thing. HP is only desirable in the front for the gear mesh. The HP can be used in the rear, however, you are using the back side of the gear mesh so it'll be weaker then a LP.