• Register Today It's free!

Manual Conversions?

shrago

Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4WD
I have had a '98 Exploder (yes, exploder, it's been rebaged, courtesy of a TDI volkswagen badge) for the past couple years. I got a Kurtz Kustomz sport intake six months ago and have been pretty happy with it. My only gripe is the auto Tranny. I was hoping someone could give me the 411 on manual conversions:

-If the exist for my car ('98 SOHC)

-Who makes 'em, and where I can go to get it

-How much will it cost

That's gonna be hard. The manual in the OHV 4.0 wil not bolt up to the SOHC. As a matter of fact, I don't think this has ever come up bc I even did a search before I made this reply with no results. The only manual that you can put in it is the one that you can get in the 3rd gen. X's, which will be very hard to find. I have never seen one yet, however I heard someone talking about it once and said it was a very good tranny (much better than the Mazda M5OD), with more of a sporty feel to it and much more stonger. They will also be offered on the 2003 Sport Track for the first time (I think).

I am pretty sure that that's your only option but I am not 100% sure, more like 95% sure.:D Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think I hit the nail on the haed with this one.;)

Good Luck with that and keep us posted.

Okay here is the deal. If you have to ask dont even think about it unless you plan to spend a TON of $$$$$.

There is more to it then just dropping out an auto and installing a stick. There are wiring harness issues, the computer must be swapped out, the clutch and brake pedals would have to be swapped over, the steering column swapped over, starter, hydraulics, etc.....There is more involved then you think. Trust me I know. I spent 6 months collecting parts to do the opposite, I converted from a Mazda 5 speed to a custom built A4LD, This required lots of research and lots of work and lots of $$$$$$. Oh and I do this sort of stuff, first I converted from a 2.9L and Mitsu 5 speed to a 4.0L and Mazda 5 speed, then I went through 3 of those Mazda POS's and then finally converted the whole truck over to an auto using some parts from 84 all the way up to 95, and my truck is alot "easier" since it is an 88 and they were still pretty basic.

So the old, "if you have to ask, dont even think about it" saying comes to mind on this one, of course unless you are the type of person that loves to do custom fabrication and conversion like this......like me and my friends. :)

OH and if you still are interested contact Brett Brooms, for a price I;m sure we could do the whole conversion for you, but it;s gonna cost a pretty $$$$ since it has to be worth our while.....

hey 410Fortune, what did you do with your old M5OD???

Back