4wd automatic to 2wd manual. conversion. HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd automatic to 2wd manual. conversion. HELP!!!

iBangKaty

Reaction score
City, State
Little Neck, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT V6 SOHC
:exp:DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO DO A 4wd automatic to 2wd manual CONVERSION??? ON A 98 EXPLORER 4.0 SOHC...
AND WHAT PARTS I NEED FOR THIS?

THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE...

The easiest way to put it is that you will need a 2wd explorer, and you will have to swap the parts from one truck to the other. that's the simplest way, you'll need everything except the rear axle(assuming it's the same) and the motor. You may need an adaptor plate, i'm unsure if it will bolt to the SOHC. Ford never made them manual. you'll also have to change out the front end components to the spindles of 2wd and lose the differential. you will need to change the PCM inside the dash to one from a 2wd truck so as to stop the blinking 4wd. and there may be some other things inside like changing the radio bezel as to get rid of the 4wd knob.

I'm not an expert, i haven't done this, but this is what i've gathered from reading on here.

Best of luck
Justin

Are you talking about making it 2wd and a manual trans as opposed to the 4wd automatic trans? If so, it's not gonna be cheap or easy.... You're talking tons of electronics as well as the driveline removal....

Off the top of my head, you're looking at the front driveline removal, swapping brakes, spindles, and ABS sensors, the transmission (obviously), ECU, GEM, and likely a good chunk of the wiring too.... It's not gonna be a simple swap.

Oh, and as mentioned, the SOHC was never offered with a manual in the Explorer.... The Ranger around 2002 or so had a SOHC/Manual trans option (as well as a manual 13-54 transfer case option)... But IIRC, it's the Mazda M5OD which isn't very durable anyways....

It'll likely be cheaper and a LOT less work to simply sell yours and buy a 2wd.

thanks guys... wont be doing this 4 a while then...

but i will post pics of custom bumpers im making soon.
(i might make a mold of them and start selling them soon if people here like them)

and dyno sheet after a little bit more engine work:exp::D

Back