Mpg? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mpg?

Don,

I'll give the fuel filter a try. I may also disconnect the brown wire for a few weeks to see if it does anything at all. I had read in some literature somewhere that Control Trac has the ability to send up to 94% of the power to front or rear...leading me to wonder if it was sending 6% to the front when on dry pavement. The snow won't start to fly until November so I don't mind not having 4WD until then.

Also, I'm at 96K miles so the sensors may be getting to the end. I never replaced them at all in my '92 XLT and I scrapped it at 247K.

Regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure Peter, give it a try. Basically the Control trac only engages a clutch inside the transfer case, like the AC clutch. In the 4WD's case, all of the parts are turning, and the clutch is only engaged when the difference front/back becomes great. Regards,

Perhaps I am wrong, but I've done a lot of reading on this site lately and I've run accross mileage statements that would seem to indicate to me that while there are people who get better mileage then you, there is no lack of people who are in the same boat as you are, myself included. I have a 2000 XLT 4WD SOHC and I am lucky to get 17 mpg on a freeway. Since I am the original owner, I know that this is not an issue of the car aging. That's how it's been from day one. I am curious if the people who get good mileage have modified there cars extensively or whether this is just "luck of the draw". Certainly just like you I would love to know what can be done to improve my mileage, without a major investment in varioujs mods.

jkexplorer said:
I am curious if the people who get good mileage have modified there cars extensively or whether this is just "luck of the draw". Certainly just like you I would love to know what can be done to improve my mileage, without a major investment in varioujs mods.

Good mileage is definately possible;I average 30 MPG in my 4.0 SOHC.

Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372&highlight=quest

Good luck ..........

aldive said:
Good mileage is definately possible;I average 30 MPG in my 4.0 SOHC.

You must admit that 30 mpg is an exception rather then the rule. I am sure that very few people get even close to this mileage especially if they just have a stock car and have not switched to a full usage of synthetic fluids as well as other mods. The point I was trying to make is that perhaps there is nothing wrong with Peter's car, at least nothing that impacts his mileage and that in fact the mpg he is getting is not unusual for this platform. Perhaps for him the only way to achieve an improvement in mileage is not through replacement of stock parts on the assumption that they have degraded, but through differrent mods, certainly taking what you have done as a reference.

jkexplorer said:
Perhaps I am wrong, but I've done a lot of reading on this site lately and I've run accross mileage statements that would seem to indicate to me that while there are people who get better mileage then you, there is no lack of people who are in the same boat as you are, myself included. I have a 2000 XLT 4WD SOHC and I am lucky to get 17 mpg on a freeway. Since I am the original owner, I know that this is not an issue of the car aging. That's how it's been from day one. I am curious if the people who get good mileage have modified there cars extensively or whether this is just "luck of the draw". Certainly just like you I would love to know what can be done to improve my mileage, without a major investment in varioujs mods.
maybe you got a bad set up (gear ratio ) mine ol 97 alway gots 15-17 city and up to 21 on interstate driving and it was the 4.0 ohc now my 00 eb gets 17-18 city (wife driving she doggs it) but I can get 22+ on interstate driving

My 97 with 500 pounds of armor and running on 33's gets 16MPG right now. Before I changed the gears and put all the stuff on it, it got 22 regularly(spelling?), but then I was running 3.55's.
Have you considered putting bigger tires on? Maybe 31's or 32's?
What are your RPM's at 65MPH?
Hey AL, What are your RPM's at 65, and what gear ratio do you have.
Let's see where his sits compared to yours.

I need to check what my gear ratio is. As far as the RPMs at 65MPH I am sure it's below 3000 but need to double check for a more precise number. Larger tires + speedometer recalibration sounds like a lot of money. Got to think about that one.

Ray Lobato said:
Hey AL, What are your RPM's at 65, and what gear ratio do you have.Let's see where his sits compared to yours.

Ray. I am running 3.73 LS,

I am not sure what the 65 MPH RPMs atr; will check tonight.

The axle code for my car is D2, so as indicated by Ray in post #10 it is 4.10:1 limited slip gear ratio. There may be a pattern here...

I will consider bigger tires at my next changeover, but right now the car has almost new Goodyears on it - 16". I don't think I will see so dramatic an improvement as to warrant the cost.

I think that the EPA figures are almost as useless as that from the trip computer. The EPA says 16/21 for this car, and my trip computer is rock-steady at 17.8mpg. Never in reality have I achieved that number.

Also, with the 4.10 axle (why, oh, why? I don't go to the dragstrip) I think I'm turning about 2400-2500 at 65.

So Al is getting 30mpg and I'm getting a little better than 15mpg. Al has a bunch of advantages though - 2WD foremost. Also, I'm no geography expert but isn't Florida kinda flat?

Also to be considered - the 16" tires are increasing the drag coefficient because they are wider, and don't forget the Eddie Bauer/Limited/Sport problem: all that cladding. The Explorer is no aero queen to start, and adding running boards, fender flares, and all the rest must be like attaching a small parachute to the bumper! Maybe at 45mph the car get reasonable mileage but at 65....?

Ford needs a nice 4cyl direct-injection turbodiesel for these cars.

PeterBrown, I defintely agree that Ford should offer a diesel for the X. But I have a 95 Limited with OHV/4X4 and am consistently getting highway mileage in the low 20's with the occasional peak (my best was 26.4 mpg). Changed to all synthetic lubricants and HT tires (instead of the standard ATs), an increase in tire pressure, and 1 oz acetone per 10 gallons of 87 octane. No chip (considering it), and planning an electric fan. I'll never get Aldive's mileage but I thought I did pretty good.

Lloyd,

Sounds like you're doing very well, mileage-wise, without a lot of mods. My 92 XLT 4X4 had a 5-speed manual and I averaged around 19-20 with 22 or so on the highway.

I'll get some less aggressive rubber next time, and keep my fingers crossed that oil prices come down.

Project 92: What is your rear axle since we appear to have the same car? I have the D2 4.10 limited slip.

Regards

New guy here- I have a 99 XLT 2wd. I get about 19 MPG on the highway, that is between 70 and 80 MPH. The only mods I have is a K&N in the stock airbox and a Gibson exhaust. Those EPA stickers are a joke. I bought a brand new Mazda Protege 5 with an EPA rating of 25-30 MPG. I'm lucky if I can get 25 MPG combined city and highway, and I don't drive it that fast.

I just completed a 2500 mile trip from Texas back to Oregon. I used Interstate freeways exclusively travelling at 5mph above the road limit at all times. The avg speed for the trip is 70mph. I used regular gasoline from Flying J, Conoco, and Love's and I achieved between 19.5mpg and 20.5mpg from tank to tank. (terrain differences) Then I tested 1 tank of Love's premium and that gave me 21.5mpg going uphill. (slight) I have a stock 4.0 V6 with 4x4 with no mods, original tire sizes.

oregonsixteen said:
I just completed a 2500 mile trip from Texas back to Oregon. I used Interstate freeways exclusively travelling at 5mph above the road limit at all times. The avg speed for the trip is 70mph. I used regular gasoline from Flying J, Conoco, and Love's and I achieved between 19.5mpg and 20.5mpg from tank to tank. (terrain differences) Then I tested 1 tank of Love's premium and that gave me 21.5mpg going uphill. (slight) I have a stock 4.0 V6 with 4x4 with no mods, original tire sizes.

Premium is a waste except for speciofic cars...

High compression engines. The SOHC 4.0 has a little higher compression, so it's a little more efficient. Regards,

Back