My '95 Explorer is possessed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '95 Explorer is possessed

radio static

Here's another weird thing I discovered. The radio (stock) has a lot of static on AM stations. I tried listening to it in the ACC ignition key position and it is as clear as a bell. When I turn the key to the run position without
starting the car it is so staticy that it is almost impossible to listen to. I thought maybe it was the vent fan causing it but I turned that off and it made no difference. The display happened to be working yesterday when I was trying this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's another weird thing I discovered. The radio (stock) has a lot of static on AM stations. I tried listening to it in the ACC ignition key position and it is as clear as a bell. When I turn the key to the run position without
starting the car it is so staticy that it is almost impossible to listen to. I thought maybe it was the vent fan causing it but I turned that off and it made no difference. The display happened to be working yesterday when I was trying this.

Mine has always been that way - I believe it's RF interference from the fuel pump. There are some very old threads on modifying the fuel pump wiring to get rid of it.

radio noise

Well, it doesn't appear to be the fuel pump. After leaving the key on for a long time in the run position without the car running I am still getting a huge amount of static.

I pulled out each fuse one by one to see what effect it would have. It seems the instrument panel and engine compartment fuses for PCM both clear up the noise when pulled.

What is the PCM? Why would it make static on the radio?

Well, it doesn't appear to be the fuel pump. After leaving the key on for a long time in the run position without the car running I am still getting a huge amount of static.

I pulled out each fuse one by one to see what effect it would have. It seems the instrument panel and engine compartment fuses for PCM both clear up the noise when pulled.

What is the PCM? Why would it make static on the radio?

PCM is the computer - pulling the fuse on that would probably turn off everything that depends on the computer.

I believe just having the fuel pump circuit energized causes it - the pump doesn't actually have to be running. Did you try pulling the fuel pump relay?

radio noise

I pulled the fuel pump relay and it didn't change a thing. When I pulled the
PCM relay the noise went away.

Where is the PCM?

Any ideas on the PCM caused noise?

When you pulled the PCM fuse you killed power to the computer. The computer sends out signal voltages to every sensor in the vehicle, as well as the fuel injectors, O2 sensors and O2 heaters and too many others to list. So pulling that fuse isn't telling you that much. There are a lot of variables that need to be looked at. For instance the IAC valve is a solenoid, and could be giving electrical interference. The O2 heater circuit could be an issue. And I know this is going to be a pain but the fuel injectors could be causing your problem as well. They're only supposed to pulse when they receive their signal but if you have a bad one it could be an issue. If its stuck and pulsing continuously You can pick that up as radio noise. Try to pick one area and disconnect things one at a time to rule them out. You might be surprised at what is causing it. One other thing, it might be something as simple as a bad RF ground in the radio. Or a damaged antenna lead. If you can get you hands on another radio for testing you could rule that out as the cause quickly. Try some of these and let us know.

the problem to the flashing 4x4 lights and windows not working is probably the same problem. The reason i know because i went through the same. If u go under the dash look on the right side of the steering column use flashlight and look for a black box could be black taped. Open the box and u will see a relay about 1'' all around it is about $10 to $15 at auto store. If they can not match it tell them it is the same as the relay for the fuel pump located under the hood relay box

possessed

Did u get the post I sent on the window problem?:D

radio noise

I had the same problem with the stock radio on my 95. If yours is stock the radio is starting to die of old age, and it is time to put a new or used up dated radio and the problem will be gone. The end :cool:

Grounds

Elusive electrical issues can be caused by faulty grounds.
Look to the the grounding lugs. Are the tight on the block? on the body?
To find them start with the shop manual. It will show (symbolically) where the grounding points are.
Another approach is to create a new ground path. This hurts nothing if you add one and it's not the problem. Said another way, put in a temporary ground to the radio (see if AM static is lowered). Put is a ground for the window by locating the window motor and it's ground then run a line to the body (or negative battery post.

Back