My Explorer fought the good battle. Does it have more fight? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer fought the good battle. Does it have more fight?

ClaimCheck

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Background:
I own a 95 Explorer XLT w/ 5 Speed MANUAL transmission.
The odometer shows 200k+/- miles (Rebuilt tranny & clutch at about 190k miles in May 2010 & again under warranty April 2011).
I bought it in July 96 with maybe 1000 mi on it.
It had been on its way to Brazil. Dunno why it didn't make it. But I got it as a used Exp with a new dash and the paperwork to show that it had been replaced from a metric version.

As noted above I have a relatively new rebuilt tranny.

Now I have a coolant leak. Discovered due to the engine overheating and my needing to, at irregular intervals add more antifreeze.

I am told the following:
- It is not leaking OUT of the engine, therefore it must be internal.
- Internal means I need to replace the engine.
- It is prolly a cylinder causing the leak.
- The cost for replacing it with a used engine is MINIMUM $1600 plus any hoses that need to be
replaced as a result of the process plus anything else that, due to its age, doesn't hold up
to the stress and strain of replacing the engine.

To add insult to injury -
The Muffler has chosen NOW to rust out and needs replacing (Approx $250)
I also blew out a tire a few months back and have yet to replace it (Approx $125)

Other than these "few minor" issues (and a little bit of rust - Really, only a little)

So I have to ask the question again,
Do I fix this (Spend $2000+/-) and keep it for the next year or two or however long it continues to run
(If I go this route, what else can go seriouslly wrong? I will have a rebuilt tranny and engine.)
OR
Do I finally say goodbye. :-( And put the $2000 towards a replacement.
(If I go this route, What do I get to replace it? I doubt I can find another SUV with a MANUAL transmission. It would have to be a used SUV and as close to the Explorer as possible.)

Thank you all for your time to read this and any input you may have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would keep it and put the money into it. I as well need a new engine and front end rebuild but I have yet to see a car go for that little with minimal problems. Plus you might have to take on car payments.

I can not tell you what to do with it, that is your decision alone.
If it were mine, I would pull yhe heads and have them rebuilt, if the rest of the engine is in good shape. You know how it has been maintained. I seriously doudt you need to replace the engine. But you will know when you pull the heads. I vote for repairs if the rest of the truck is in good shape.

Relax, take a breath. An 'internal coolant leak' doesn't mean you need to replace the engine. It could be something as simple as a blown head gasket. I'd recommend doing some basic diagnostics first. A leakdown or compression test can help diagnose a blown head gasket, which isn't a bad repair.

Have you found coolant in your oil? Do you get white, sweet smelling smoke out your exhaust?

You can get a muffler for $100 installed. I spend $25 on my muffler, cut out the old one and when I couldn't bolt it on I paid like $50 or $75 to get it welded on. Internal coolant leak doesn't mean the motor is gone either, have a different mechanic check it out.

Personally, I'd say keep it. I love my explorer and all explorers. If you do engine work, and just rebuilt the tranny there isn't much else that can go wrong, just suspension parts.

BTW, is the muffler a big deal? It's just going to be loud, but that doesn't make it undrivable.

A head gasket isn't an easy job. But it's isn't a new engine either. And that's if it is the head gasket. It sounds like you could be losing it slowly out the tail pipe though. They make some stuff that supposedly seals small leaks in the HG, but I don't know if it works.

I'd guess you'd be looking at 700 to have the HG done and a couple hundred for the other things. What are you going to buy for a grand? And you'd be looking at 500 total if you did the HG yourself

The king is dead! Long live the king! (What Yr Replaces a 95 Explorer?

Thanks to all of y'all for your insight.

Turns out it didn't matter. I took the 95 Explorer to another shop and was waiting for the call with my 2nd opinion.

They never called me. I finally called and was told it was time to replace it. Just junk it and move on.

THAT was not enough reason to do so. I figured I'll drive it untill i can't anymore and THEN I'll put out $$ for a replacement.

Until the engine won't engine and the muffler won't muffle enough, I was just going to drive it untill the bitter end.

The bitter end came 28 April 2012 in the form of a hail storm and a mercy killing. :(
The sheet metal is all mottled and banged up. The glass is spidered veined throughout windshield. I could go on but I'm certain it is understood what has transpired.
The insurance company gave me about $2400 to take it off my hands.

Whilst I could consider using the $2400 to repair the explorer, it will never be back to its former glory.

NOW THE TIME HAS COME....
What do I buy to replace it? The answer, after a bit of research is another 1995 5-speed manual transmission Ford Explorer. :D
Since I don't have the time to wait until another one comes available in my area...

It won't be a BRAND NEW vehicle for many reasons. one of which is I like a real key, one I can put in my wallet for when I lock myself out. :(

I like a lot of things about the 95 Explorer XLT.
Major likes were the body was identical to the Ranger. Are the newer models?
I want the stability and safty of having a REAL FRAME and not worrying about a unibody frame.

I also liked the height and the ride and the SIX FEET of room from the back seats to the liftgate.
And the ability to open JUST the glass or the whole thing.
The double sunvisors are great! One for the front & another for the side.
An analog dashboard AND odometer.
(The digital is cool and all that, I just prefer the good ol' analog.)

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my mind.

Is there a particular year (or years) I should avoid?

I know the decision is mine and I'd like some input to help make that decision.

Again thanks for all the help in the past.

CC

Sorry to hear about your truck, lucky you had it insured though.

Well, techically the 3rd gen Explorer 2002-2005 comes after the truck you had but I personally love the second gen Explorers 1995-2001 with the SOHC v6 and 5 speed auto combo, the rear was a little more rounded from 97 onward if that helps.

In any case happy Explorations into your next vehicle....;)

Do what I did and get on Craig's list and see what's out there. Use this as an opportunity to trade up...

I set a $3000 budget for myself and I got a 1999 Limited V8 4x2 189K with ALL the toys in excellent condition for $2400. For a daily driver I would try for something with lower miles... It's not a daily driver for me so mileage is not as important.

Explorer1.jpg

Back