Mysterious Green Oily fluid | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious Green Oily fluid

Lee S. said:
I thought the PS fluid is red in color...how does it turn green??

Its red is you use ATF; synthetic PS fluis is clear. I have never seen green PS fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

explorernutt said:
I had a problem identical to yours, it was my steering pump, I never bled the air out of it when I installed it (stupid :roll: ) And eventually the power steering fluid turned into a slime oily green, it sounds just like what you have. check your p/s pump and let us know what you find.

Thanks for the tip.

I checked the PS fluid level and it is at the full mark and I have not experienced any squealing or resistance during turns. The fluid in the PS reservoir is also a slight reddish color.

The only thing that so far sounds logical is Prestone which has dropped onto the cardboard and then the water in the Prestone has been absorbed by the cardboard, leaving only the oily residue.

My next plan is to put plastic on top of the cardboard so that the water will not be absorbed and maybe it will show for sure that it is Prestone. I have not been able to find a leak in the thermostat as yet and the drain hole in the water pump is clean.

Thanks to everyone for the inputs. I'll let you know when I find out for sure.....

...weird thing , when I bought my 91 explorer , It also had a green fluid in the power steering res. I drained teh fluid , refilled , and it returned to green again .....works just fine , no leaks ....ashley

Glacier991 said:
Oh and, martian sperm IS NOT GREEN (sheesh).
smiley1 said:
I would give a more sarcastic comment but I usually drink bottled water.
LMAO. This thread has many hilarious post. Gotta go search for them. :D

So, Gator, found the culprit yet? Does it drip a lot? Maybe if you wait a week you could tell which fluid your loosing to give you a better idea where its coming from. Cleaning your engine out to find a leak is the best approach I know how. :thumbsup:

Gator said:
... I haven't had any dye checks done....any more ideas?

Well, at this point I would use a UV dye to check for leaks, starting with just the coolant.

Have the spot checked with a black light to see if maybe it is UV dye... I don't remember when Ford started to charge A/C systems with dye at the factory, but it was around your model year... also if you've had any A/C work done in the past, perhaps it has dye in the system, or an oil with dye in it had been used...

Back