Need help to diagnose popping/clicking coming from underneath 2003 Explorer [VIDEO] | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help to diagnose popping/clicking coming from underneath 2003 Explorer [VIDEO]

tomballpkr

Reaction score
City, State
houston ,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2003 XLS 4.0L V6
There is a popping or clicking coming from underneath my explorer. It doesn't seem to be up front or in the wheel wells. I simply cannot diagnose it so I am posting a video below to see if you can help.

It primarily happens when turning the wheels all the way to left or right and slowly moving, such as when pulling into or out of a parking spot. It seems to be occurring when the frame is under stress. I would also say that the brakes are typically being applied such as in this video when we are riding the brakes to make it go slowly.

It rarely happens going straight, but it does occur. It sometimes happens repeatedly, as shown in video below.

Based on searches on this forum, I've tried the following:
- Replaced upper control arms & ball joints
- Replaced lower ball joints
- Replaced sway bar links
- Replaced sway bar bushings
- Checked all wheels/brakes for anything loose or unexpected

This video is < 1 minute and shows the noise from various angles.
https://youtu.be/IX9YZETFacU

Any help would be appreciated...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do another video with the camera lower, like at the end.

OK, I had made the video just to demonstrate the noise.

Are you suggesting to have a camera at the front of the vehicle aiming down along the bottom? Is there any specific area to ensure is in frame?

mine is doing the exact same thing....I think its the hub...I put mine in 4wd and it went away. put it back in 2wd and it didn't come back till the next day??? im not sure but I think its coming from the locking hub....

My vehicle is 2WD only

This remains unsolved. Attached is the requested video of underneath the 2WD Explorer 2003 while the noise is occurring (<1 min, lots of pops). It was trickier than I thought it would be to generate this and I almost crushed my phone twice.

Any ideas? I don't think this video from underneath really adds much to it except that you can hear the sound from a different angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Ok-SVBaC8

Now I'm just impressed with however you mounted the phone.

Allows you to hear the noise a lot more, but still can't pin point it's location.
You may need to take it to your local Ford dealer. As they work on more Explorers than anyone else, they may be able to figure it out.

Hell yes, nice job on the second video! I'm not sure what's going on, but a few months ago someone had that same problem, same noise. I'm not sure if it got resolved, but you should search "popping" and "clicking". Someone posted a video with your same problem.

I will search for the thread but I tried that repeatedly over the last 6 months before finally posting about this problem

mine is still not resolved either....replaced my front cv and upper control arm/ball joint. next is the lower ball joint i guess??

mine is still not resolved either....replaced my front cv and upper control arm/ball joint. next is the lower ball joint i guess??

I just can't see the lower ball joint allowing for the noise.

Many thanks to Cashcrazy for solving this problem.
His fix, which worked for me, was "Go loosen the four bolts on the tubular crossmember under the bellhousing and retighten them"

3D446961-74D2-4D31-AD19-DB5C2893BA0C_zpsy9qs1fhi.jpg

Glad to help. Once my rough idle is corrected I can enjoy driving and not fixing.

Wow, This sounds like the noise that I get.... I think I am going to try this fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back