Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

New calipers and bleeding not working

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by KA3NXN, October 5, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. KA3NXN

KA3NXN It's HER truck Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Arvoinia, VA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
    Callsign:
    KA3NXN
    I have a 2002 4.6L AWD Explorer that I just put all new calipers, brakes, and rotors on the front. When I go to bleed the brakes the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Now mind you I’ve bled many a brake system over the last 30 years and had never had this problem before. So I do know the proper process for bleeding brakes. I’ve only done the front brakes the rears are untouched. I have made sure that there is no air coming out when we depress the pedal and I have the valve open to bleed the brakes. But after I re-tighten the valve and pump the brakes the pedal still goes to the floor. The reservoir is full and it has never gotten below 3/4 while bleeding the brakes. I made sure that there are no leaks in the system, and the brakes were working fine before I replaced them. The reason for replacing them was the previous were the original rotors and calipers and brakes would not have passed inspection so I just decided to replace all the major components in the brake system. Any idea what could be causing this on this particular vehicle? If I open up to bleed one caliper do I have to bleed the entire system? I also bled the master cylinder to make sure there was no air in that, and there wasn’t.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    Any chance the new left and right caliper sides were switched? Common mistake. Bleeders must be UP to bleed all air.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. KA3NXN

KA3NXN It's HER truck Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Arvoinia, VA
    2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
    Callsign:
    KA3NXN
    That was it. Thank you!!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Larryjb

Larryjb Active Member

2008 Ford Explorer
    Ha ha! I just went through the same thing. In fact, I remember thinking "Why on earth would Ford put the bleeders below the hydraulic line? That doesn't make any sense...." Then I couldn't bleed them. Of course, Ford didn't put the bleeders below the line, I swapped L and R calipers as well.