New calipers and bleeding not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New calipers and bleeding not working

KA3NXN

It's HER truck
Reaction score
City, State
Arvoinia, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
Callsign
KA3NXN
I have a 2002 4.6L AWD Explorer that I just put all new calipers, brakes, and rotors on the front. When I go to bleed the brakes the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Now mind you I’ve bled many a brake system over the last 30 years and had never had this problem before. So I do know the proper process for bleeding brakes. I’ve only done the front brakes the rears are untouched. I have made sure that there is no air coming out when we depress the pedal and I have the valve open to bleed the brakes. But after I re-tighten the valve and pump the brakes the pedal still goes to the floor. The reservoir is full and it has never gotten below 3/4 while bleeding the brakes. I made sure that there are no leaks in the system, and the brakes were working fine before I replaced them. The reason for replacing them was the previous were the original rotors and calipers and brakes would not have passed inspection so I just decided to replace all the major components in the brake system. Any idea what could be causing this on this particular vehicle? If I open up to bleed one caliper do I have to bleed the entire system? I also bled the master cylinder to make sure there was no air in that, and there wasn’t.

Any chance the new left and right caliper sides were switched? Common mistake. Bleeders must be UP to bleed all air.

That was it. Thank you!!!!

Ha ha! I just went through the same thing. In fact, I remember thinking "Why on earth would Ford put the bleeders below the hydraulic line? That doesn't make any sense...." Then I couldn't bleed them. Of course, Ford didn't put the bleeders below the line, I swapped L and R calipers as well.

Back