noise/sound during acceleration bewteen 1500-2000 rpm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

noise/sound during acceleration bewteen 1500-2000 rpm

hc_spooky

Reaction score
City, State
CC, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
02,EB
..it does not happen always.

i think it tends to happen more often when the engine is cold..but it does also after a 300mile drive.

so what happens is: when I do accelerate from 0mph, a noise , like a belt was loose of something or some rezonating sound, starts to sound at about 1500 rpm (not below)..and lasts until i hit 2000rpm (sometime above) then the sound stops.

i tryied to replicate the prolem 2x to a service guy but could not..did not happen that time. I think I cannot replicate it in neutral..but again..maybe i could if i tried more often.

ford did examine my transmission and replaced solenioid..which fixed some other thing... but this problem remains.

btw, the repair shop charged $80 for examining. the labor+part was covered under warranty. i have esp/ extra care and now i'm at 72k miles with my 4.0l 2002 explorer.

any ideas please ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I read on this site, it might be a timing chain related issue. I have a similar "hum" when accelerating. Still looking to see if its related to something else.

I have the same problem with my 02 and would like to know what it is aswell.

Is this the SOHC 4.0 engine? If so then a new front tensioner should cure it. I had a similar noise at about those rpm's when cold. I did the oom12 (new o rings and modified tensioner) and that cured mine completely.

I have 2002 XLT with same engine high pitch noise problem

Howdy,
I have had the 02 XLT for a year and noticed that it only has this high pitch noise in cold weather. It only makes the noise in the first few minutes of the warmup time while driving and it does not matter how fast I am going. It gets really loud and sounds like a bearing. When I let off the gas it dies away.

Last year I had the tensioner replaced but the noise is back. It does seem to happen when accelerating or during a slightly inclined street. Last year I had the Ford people go out with me first thing on two different cold mornings, but would'nt you know it, it did not do it then. Now it does it every day. I am planning to have them look at it again. Let's see what they come up with.

Any suggestions?

I have that same problem and I have the V8. Does anyone have a solution yet?

Sound?

Well, my question is this? Where is the noise coming from. I had the same problem in which the sound was coming from under my driver side floorboard. Being that it is difficult for me to have time to get it in, I waited. The sound was not all of the time and like you appeared more in colder weather. Now, my 04 is in the shop getting the transmission taken out to be rebuilt. The problem got a whole lot worse. It now slips into every gear almost all of the time. Sometimes I have a hard time getting it to shift...and I have an automatic. Now, the horrible delay (which I had fixed a year ago) while shifting into reverse is back. I just thought I would mention this since you said you had the transmission worked on.

Oh, I only have 27,000 miles on it. What does suck is that I'm stuck with a Taurus for near a week. Not a bad car, but no where near my explorer.

Exhaust sheilds rattle a lot. Check your exhaust out. I hae a similar sound only on cold start up at around 1250 and I believe it's one of my cats or shields.

Drew

I've got the same whine/high pitch noise. Only happens when cold, while acelerating and most often, going up hill. From about 1500-2000 RPMs. My only guess is the tranny.

Back