• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing sound during acceleration

Greg99

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT w/nav
During moderate acceleration, I hear a short buzz / vibration. The sound is like a muffled bee in a can that lasts for about ½ second. It happens more pronouncedly when it is warmer (>45°F). It seems to happen mostly at 2,400 rpm but can happen from 2,000-3500 rpm. I can get it to happen for a much longer time when I am towing (3-5 seconds)– I think because I am at a constant high(er) RPM when accelerating.
It only happens during acceleration. It can happen in any of the gears while accelerating. When I am on the interstate cruising at these RPM’s there is no sound.

I have it at the dealer today for the third time. It sounds like they may call in a field engineer tomorrow if they can’t make headway.

Anyone have any idea what it could be as the dealer is struggling to find it too?

Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a vent to the right of the steering wheel, if you're facing the dash it will be corner right. When it buzzes, press on this vent. If it goes away or muffles, it's the little fan in there. This fan draws in air from the cabin to determine the temperature.

I had it, drove me nuts, had it repaired, then they ended up replacing it.

During moderate acceleration, I hear a short buzz / vibration. The sound is like a muffled bee in a can that lasts for about ½ second. It happens more pronouncedly when it is warmer (>45°F). It seems to happen mostly at 2,400 rpm but can happen from 2,000-3500 rpm. I can get it to happen for a much longer time when I am towing (3-5 seconds)– I think because I am at a constant high(er) RPM when accelerating.
It only happens during acceleration. It can happen in any of the gears while accelerating. When I am on the interstate cruising at these RPM’s there is no sound.

I have it at the dealer today for the third time. It sounds like they may call in a field engineer tomorrow if they can’t make headway.

Anyone have any idea what it could be as the dealer is struggling to find it too?

Greg

Hi Greg. I am having the EXACT same issue with my new 2017 explorer. Did you every figure out what was causing this?

Hoping to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and if anyone has identified a cause..

I have a 2017 Ford Explorer with about 5000kms on it. This has been occurring for a few months now:

When I am accelerating from stop and I reach 3rd gear, there is a sweet spot at moderate acceleration, low RPM, where I can hear a muffled buzz/whine/vibration sound that lasts for one half to one full second. It's driving me crazy.

At first I thought it was only occurring when the A/C was on, but I heard it again last night with the AC off. I can replicate it more often than not.

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Same issue with my 2015 Explorer, didn't find any answer yet for that

Yep, I got it figured out. This happened early on in my explorer relationship... here is my final "OMG ITS FIXED!" remark from that thread:

FIXED FIXED FIXED!!!!

According to the technician, there was a plastic piece shielding fuel/evap and brake lines. That piece was vibrating against the body of the body. He threw in some foam tape of some sort to quiet it down.

I get a little blip before the shift at 6500 now, but I think this fix works for me well enough. :D

Yep, I got it figured out. This happened early on in my explorer relationship... here is my final "OMG ITS FIXED!" remark from that thread:
Actually this is a different issue. the sound comes only when gear about to change and it comes somewhere from under the steering wheel and sounds like Air vent breathing.

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ subforum.

Hello everyone. I have a 2019 Sport with this problem. Have you been able to resolve it? Thank you!

Hello everyone. I have a 2019 Sport with this problem. Have you been able to resolve it? Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If the question is directed at Black Eyed, that member hasn't been active here since Oct. 18th. Hopefully the member is 'watching' this thread.

Peter

Hello Everyone! According to the dealer, the transmission fluid pan was leaking on my 6 week old Explorer Sport. The transmission was low 2 quarts of fluid that the dealer states was causing this issue. I just received a call that the car is ready. Ill keep you posted if this resolves this issue when I pick it up tomorrow.

The dealer has no clue what’s causing this issue. That transmission doesn’t have a pan so the service advisor was wrong. Basically there was a transmission oil leak. Now they are suspecting the transmission oil pump. Not sure if I should just not have them touch anything and live with it. Wish the members who posted earlier would let me know if and how they resolved their issue.

Usually a buzzing noise on acceleration is due to low trans fluid.

Its usually more pronounced in reverse with hard acceleration as well as slippage.

Reverse slips easier than drive.

decipha, thank you very much for your input. Dealer is talking to Ford about replacing the pump in the trans or even the whole trans. Not sure what the best way to proceed. I'm thinking not having them do anything an just live with it.

decipha, thank you very much for your input. Dealer is talking to Ford about replacing the pump in the trans or even the whole trans. Not sure what the best way to proceed. I'm thinking not having them do anything an just live with it.
It's under warranty, so why not have them fix it? You have a 5 year, 60k mile warranty on it. Take it in.

Peter

That transmission doesn’t have a pan so the service advisor was wrong.
FYI - the 6F## series trans has a side cover that is effectively the same as a "pan". In other words, it is a "pan", just on the side, instead of on the bottom...

Diagnosing random noises is difficult. They can come from almost anywhere inside or outside the vehicle and can be tough to isolate depending on your knowledge/experience around vehicles. Plastic and metal panels/shields can vibrate/buzz. Motors can vibrate/buzz. Electronics can "buzz". For the OP, if it sounds metallic and happens under acceleration, you may want to start with exhaust heat shields or any other metal shielding or possibly something rubbing the engine/exhaust. I have an aftermarket hitch installed and it runs real close to the exhaust tips so when I accelerate from a stop with a fully loaded trailer, the engine/trans/exhaust shift on their mounts and the exhaust will rub/vibrate against the hitch briefly under load.

just a quick update on where I am with this issue. Ford advised the dealership to replace the exhaust which the dealer did and that did not resolve the problem. Now ford wants the dealership to replace one of the turbos. The one closest to the firewall. That I was told should be done tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any updates from anyone? My 2018 is doing exactly this and it's been into Ford twice now with no success, going in for a third time now.

Back