Buzzing sound during acceleration | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing sound during acceleration

Just throwing this out there. I haven't seen anyone mention the PTU. Not sure at all if it's the issue, but it can make buzzing/whining sounds when it fails. However, you may also get a funny smell that accompanies a PTU failure as the oil burns off through the vent.

Anyway, might not be the issue, but could also be something to think about as the PTU is a known high failure part...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just throwing this out there. I haven't seen anyone mention the PTU. Not sure at all if it's the issue, but it can make buzzing/whining sounds when it fails. However, you may also get a funny smell that accompanies a PTU failure as the oil burns off through the vent.

Anyway, might not be the issue, but could also be something to think about as the PTU is a known high failure part...
Is the PTU still active when not in 4wd?

Is the PTU still active when not in 4wd?
It's always active...it's basically just a right angle drive (yes, an oversimplification, but you get the idea...). There is no controlling going on in the PTU. It's the RDU that does all the torque biasing with the clutch pack and electronics inside it...

It's always active...it's basically just a right angle drive (yes, an oversimplification, but you get the idea...). There is no controlling going on in the PTU. It's the RDU that does all the torque biasing with the clutch pack and electronics inside it...
Ah okay, well it's going back in hopefully next week I'll mention the PTU to them (though I'm sure they're aware). They tested all the transmission sensors while driving and said that everything was good there, then the last time I took it in they said that it's just normal turbo noise. Never maid this noise in the 35k miles that I've had it so definitely not "normal".

Ah okay, well it's going back in hopefully next week I'll mention the PTU to them (though I'm sure they're aware). They tested all the transmission sensors while driving and said that everything was good there, then the last time I took it in they said that it's just normal turbo noise. Never maid this noise in the 35k miles that I've had it so definitely not "normal".
Any info on this issue? I have had this problem for a long time and had it looked at by ford multiple times. They have replaced my drive shaft and that fixed it for about 5 months and when it came back they changed one of my turbos thinking that was it but it's still there. They have no idea at this point what it is and basically said they will just wait to see what fails and go from there.

^^ Welcome to the Forum, :wave:

Peter

Any updates from anyone? My 2018 is doing exactly this and it's been into Ford twice now with no success, going in for a third time now.
My 2018 Explorer just started making the bee buzz last week. Following. I'm "guess" is that it's an electronics problem. Happens when accelerating. Not related to A/C or radio. Definitely on the right side. Following. Any info helpful, before taking to the dealership. Mileage +/-75k.

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport that has had this issue since I bought it... buzz/vibration at 2500 rpm... I can make it happen in any gear but is more pronounced in 1-3 gear. The dealership has replaced the rear driveshaft and that seemed to fix it for about 6 months and it came back. Then ford replaced one of the turbos and that didn't fix it at all. Not they are saying there is nothing more they can do. It's a fantom issue that they cannot pinpoint and arent willing to keep throwing parts at it. They assure me that it isn't mechanical and most likely is just a shroud of some sort rubbing. Looks like ill have to go out and get another extended warranty in case whatever this is decides to fail and cost an arm and a leg. Would love to know if anyone was able to figure this out. Its been a very frustrating process.

N
I have a 2015 Explorer Sport that has had this issue since I bought it... buzz/vibration at 2500 rpm... I can make it happen in any gear but is more pronounced in 1-3 gear. The dealership has replaced the rear driveshaft and that seemed to fix it for about 6 months and it came back. Then ford replaced one of the turbos and that didn't fix it at all. Not they are saying there is nothing more they can do. It's a fantom issue that they cannot pinpoint and arent willing to keep throwing parts at it. They assure me that it isn't mechanical and most likely is just a shroud of some sort rubbing. Looks like ill have to go out and get another extended warranty in case whatever this is decides to fail and cost an arm and a leg. Would love to know if anyone was able to figure this out. Its been a very frustrating process.
Not good news. This is like going to the Dr. You better know what to tell them before you make the appointment. However, this does sound like a common problem. Surprised it hasn't been a recall issue. Will keep following. Sooner or later, someone will pinpoint the problem - more importantly the solution.

My 2018 Explorer just started making the bee buzz last week. Following. I'm "guess" is that it's an electronics problem. Happens when accelerating. Not related to A/C or radio. Definitely on the right side. Following. Any info helpful, before taking to the dealership. Mileage +/-75k.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does it increase/decrease with how fast you are going? Is it coming from the windshield area? If so, it could be your cowl that is the problem.

Peter

Does it increase/decrease with how fast you are going? Is it coming from the windshield area? If so, it could be your cowl that is the problem.

Peter
It started last week under the left side, under the pocket. Now, more central in the dash, above the radio. This am, when it was cool, it didn't buzz at all. Then, later this afternoon, it was back. Yes, it does get louder and more consistent with speed. Also, today, the plug in for my cell didn't work. Ah hah! Thinking that might be a clue. Taking into repair shop on Monday. Called 2 Ford dealers service dept. Waste of time.

Hello friends,

I just wanted to throw a post here on this forum to see if there are any further updates on the noise problems with your Explorers and to throw a sound clip of the buzzing noise that I am experiencing with my 2020 Edge ST - for comparison.

I have been trying to resolve the issue with this buzzing noise on my Edge for about a year now, and it is hard to describe and find potential solutions for this issue online. I have had it in the dealership numerous times now, and they just can't pinpoint it and won't do anything about it.

Again, this is a 2020 Ford Edge ST. The noise happens around 2K RPM during acceleration. This is the only time it will happen, and it is typically quite quick. However, if you hold that RPM steady, you will be able to make it buzz like a metallic-bee for as long as you can hold that hotspot RPM for. Here is the sound clip of my issue and please let me know if this is a similar buzz you all are discussing here!:

I am unable to hear a buzzing sound but do hear what I would describe as a brief 'click'.
With the earlier 5th gen Explorer, the 'A' pillar and or cowl seemed to be a common source that created a 'buzzing' noise. Unlike yours, it varied with speed.

Peter

Necro time! Anyone make any headway with this issue? I've been troubleshooting it for about 4 years now.

EDIT: 2017 Explorer Sport

Necro time! Anyone make any headway with this issue? I've been troubleshooting it for about 4 years now.

EDIT: 2017 Explorer Sport
Regarding your edit. That info is already shown in the margin.;)

Peter

Hopefully someone can assist me. I have a 2018 Ford an explorer XLT and once I start accelerating and reach a decent speed I start hearing this buzzing sound. Sounds like a fly is trapped somewhere. A starting point in what this issue could be will be greatly appreciated

got a clip of this? audio and video clips are much help

My rearview mirror buzzes sometimes, and it stops when I put a bit of pressure on and squeeze the top and bottom. There was a video posted not long ago where they separated the mirror and added a small bead of silicone which stopped it.

Hopefully someone can assist me. I have a 2018 Ford an explorer XLT and once I start accelerating and reach a decent speed I start hearing this buzzing sound. Sounds like a fly is trapped somewhere. A starting point in what this issue could be will be greatly appreciated
Earlier 5th gen Explorers had issues with loose 'A' pillars. I'm thinking that your issue is probably the cowl that runs along the outside of the windshield. Several members have noticed that a corner was loose. You can try and see if ther is any play/movement in the cowl and/or try taping it down to see if that helps.
FYI, I have merged your thread with this existing one found using the handy Search feature at the upper right.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back