Overwhelmed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overwhelmed

disvnvet

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
First of all, I have a California 1994 Explorer 4X4 with a 4.0 Engine.

I recently changed the tranny and o2 Sensors with great success however it has been overwhelming since. I have a number of issues that are beginning to blow my mind and I need help.

#1. I ran the KOEO tests and got only code 341.

#2. I ran the KOER tests and got No Codes.

#3. I drove the car and power seemed a little lacking and about 300 feet from the SMOG Test Station I got a CEL. It cleared and I drove the vehicle home and found code 335. I did a visual and replaced the DFPE. I took off the EGR valve to inspect and made a big mistake and had to replace it. Not sure how to inspect the EGR Selonoid so left alone. Cleared the codes and #1 and #2 were repeated. I drove the car again and code 335 came up again. I drove the car again, replaced the DPFE again and now it appears the problem has been resolved.

#4. I drove the car again and for about 1/2 hour. The engine again seemed to lack power. It also stumbled and at one point seemed like it was going to stall. This happened a couple of times but never did stall. During the drive, the CEL came on and off 5 times.

#5. I ran the KOEO tests first thing this morning. I did not warm up the engine and not sure if it caused the new codes 172 & 176 however I am almost positive that the intermittent CEL's I had were registering the 172 & 176 instead of the previous Code 335.

#6. I am really at a loss and needed to drive the vehicle 175 miles over the Sierras on Thursday/Friday. I am reluctant to do so based on these issue.

#7. Final issue is not Code related, I don't think. Sometimes When I turn the key on I don't hear the fuel pump. Turning off and on normally starts the Fuel Pump. It has a new filter and beginning to think the "Relay" is bad. My book is with my son and the parts houses in the area are out so I cannot locate the relay. It would help if someone could tell me "WHERE IT IS".

It would be of immense assistance if someone could get me going in the right direction on the other issues. If I need to do wire checking please advise with as much detail as possible.

Thank in Advance.

location for fuel pump relay

look under the hood in the power distribution box its clearly labled

Back